Error reading signed content when installing IDE Plugin into com.yourkit.profiler,2022.9.177.0 in Eclipse 4.15.0

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
sbarber

Error reading signed content when installing IDE Plugin into com.yourkit.profiler,2022.9.177.0 in Eclipse 4.15.0

Post by sbarber »

Hi,

I'm getting:

session context was:(profile=productProfile, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).
Problems downloading artifact: osgi.bundle,com.yourkit.profiler,2022.9.177.0.
Error reading signed content:C:\Users\sbarber\AppData\Local\Temp\signatureFile10175038526671316209.jar
An error occurred while processing the signatures for the file: C:\Users\sbarber\AppData\Local\Temp\signatureFile10175038526671316209.jar
Problems downloading artifact: org.eclipse.update.feature,com.yourkit.profiler,2022.9.177.0.
Error reading signed content:C:\Users\sbarber\AppData\Local\Temp\signatureFile2004056186807082370.jar
An error occurred while processing the signatures for the file: C:\Users\sbarber\AppData\Local\Temp\signatureFile2004056186807082370.jar

when installing the YourKit Java Profile IDE Plugin 2022.9.177.0 into Eclipse 4.15.0.

I have no problem installing the same plugin into Eclipse 4.21.0, for example.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve
Anton Katilin

Re: Error reading signed content when installing IDE Plugin into com.yourkit.profiler,2022.9.177.0 in Eclipse 4.15.0

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi Steve

It works with a newer Eclipse 4.21.0 and does not work with an older Eclipse 4.15.0 for some reason.

Do they run under the same Java version? If not, can you try running the old Eclipse with a newer Java?

We'll try to reproduce the problem but anyway I'm not sure we can do anything on our side with this error.

What is the reason for using the older Eclipse instead of a newer one which works? According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_(software) Eclipse platform version 4.15 is no longer supported.

est regards,
Anton
sbarber

Re: Error reading signed content when installing IDE Plugin into com.yourkit.profiler,2022.9.177.0 in Eclipse 4.15.0

Post by sbarber »

Hi Anton,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't need the 2022.9.177 version of the YourKit Java Profiler plugin to work with Eclipse 4.15.0. I was just surprised that it didn't, and asked about it.

I notice that the Completing Eclipse 3.4 - 2021-12 plugin installation documentation page gives a list of plugin releases, but doesn't specify which Eclipse releases each plugin release is supposed to work with. I guess this is all too typical for things in the Eclipse ecosystem, but still, all of us are free to do better than typical! The name of the page (3.4-2021-12) implies a broad range of Eclipse versions should work with the plugin, but no guidance as to which Eclipse version works with which version of the plugin. We are left to guess!

> Eclipse platform version 4.15 is no longer supported.

Well, I suppose that is true, but also according to that Wiki page the only Eclipse.org-maintained version currently is 4.26, which was released all of two weeks ago. So, I'm not sure that should be the only criterion for determining which Eclipse version would be supported by a commercial software vendor. Pretty much no one goes to production with two-week old software.

> Do they run under the same Java version?

Almost. The Eclipse 4.15 is using Oracle JDK 11.0.11. The Eclipse 4.21 is using Oracle JDK 11.0.14.

> can you try running the old Eclipse with a newer Java?

I could, but that would be a bad idea for me to commit to. You see, I'm not using naked Eclipse here. I'm using a commercial repackaging of Eclipse called TIBCO StreamBase Studio, which is part of the TIBCO Streaming product from Cloud Software Group's TIBCO Business Unit. (I am a CSG TIBCO employee, in the services organization, and I specialize in creating Streaming application implementations for our customers. YourKit Java Profiler is my preferred Java profiling tool for these projects; I've been using it together with Streaming/StreamBase for about 10 years; it's been a terrific product throughout and has illuminated quite a few performance issues along the way, thank you very much!)

> What is the reason for using the older Eclipse instead of a newer one which works?

As you are likely aware, putting together a compatible set of Eclipse plugins for a particular purpose can be a big job. So, the TIBCO Streaming product team puts a lot of effort into testing the combinations of Eclipse platform, features, and plugins, Java versions, over 1100 Maven artifacts, etc. so that they all work together. Making big changes to the underlying versions of things in the field within the context of a given Streaming product release is nothing to do casually. For example, I might rev up my JDK 11.0.xx to some higher xx (especially for security-related fixes), but I wouldn't expect our product team to support me if I went rogue in my installation to the next Oracle Java LTS release, which would be 17 and has not been used even internally with the Streaming releases I have in my hands.

So, the version of StreamBase Studio that's using Eclipse 4.15 is called TIBCO Streaming 10.6.2. The 10.6 line is an LTS release and TIBCO has committed to supporting it through at least 2025. Oracle JDK 11 is an LTS release, and Oracle is committed to supporting it through at least 2026. Eclipse.org doesn't have an LTS policy; it has a program for 3rd parties to offer LTS support for Eclipse. (Which is effectively what TIBCO is doing for its Streaming customers.) Now, within the 10.6 line (newer service packs), TIBCO might move to a newer Eclipse release, but I guarantee you we wouldn't move to a different Oracle JDK LTS within that Streaming release line.

The version of Streaming that's using Eclipse 4.21 is TIBCO Streaming 11.0.0 BTW. Not sure if that's LTS or not, but not relevant to this discussion, I don't think.

OK, so that's way more, perhaps, than you wanted to know. But i think it answers your question.

As I said going in, I don't actually need the current version of your plugin to work in Eclipse 4.15.0, so please don't go off and do a bunch of work on this issue just because I asked the question -- not worth it. I can always run the YourKit Profiler without using the IDE integration, and in fact I usually do.

But I guess it would still be interesting to know which versions of the plugin work with (and/or are supported with) which versions of Eclipse, and further what the range of profiler versions are that work with which versions of the plugin (if there is a range, maybe the versions have to match exactly, I don't know), if that's something anyone knows. I may have missed some documentation here, but I haven't found this information anywhere yet.

Thanks,

Steve