Java 11 support

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
nickt

Java 11 support

Post by nickt »

Hi - any updates on when the profiler will be able to support JDK 11?

Currently hitting the following with profiler version 2018.04-b86:
18.04-86 0.001: Cannot start: Java version 11+28 is not supported. Please check whether a newer version of YourKit Java Profiler that supports it exists. You may also disable the version check by specifying the startup option '_no_java_version_check' at your own risk because we do not guarantee it would run trouble free.

Thanks!
- nick
Anton Katilin

Re: Java 11 support

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hello Nick

Java 11 will be supported in the upcoming next release. Early access will be available soon.

As a workaround for the current version, please specify the agent startup option "_no_java_version_check" as suggested.

Best regards,
Anton
grogozinsky

Post by grogozinsky »

I am having the same issue. Getting "Unsupported Java version" when trying to connect.

My application is running on Open JDK 11 anf YKJ version is the 1.8.0_172 64 bit. Is there any way I can connect my application to remote profiling?

I tried to enter _no_java_version_check in advance attach options but nothing happened?

Where and how exactly this option is supposed to be entered?
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

_no_java_version_check doesn't work in the attach mode, only when the agent is loaded on start.

Please enable profiling on the remote machine with the console wizard:
https://www.yourkit.com/docs/java/help/ ... remote.jsp

Also, you may contact [email protected] and ask to provide you with an internal build of the upcoming new version which supports Java 11 out of the box.
grogozinsky

Post by grogozinsky »

Hi Anton,

I will definitely ask support to provide me with with an internal build of new version which supports Java 11, but meanwhile can you please explain to me how to add "_no_java_version_check" to tun time JVM arguments?
I went through the link you sent even before I submitted my post but "_no_java_version_check" argument is not mentioned anywhre in YKJ documentation.

Best regards,
Galina.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hello Galina

We'll publish an early access build of the next version within a few days.

Best regards,
Anton
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

The EAP builds supporting Java 11 are now publicly available:
https://www.yourkit.com/eap/
grogozinsky

Post by grogozinsky »

Hi Anton,

The last time I ran YKJ with EAP build 54 it worked fine, but now when I tried it I got error “This EAP build has expired. Please visit YourKit web site to get the latest version.” I went to the site and downloaded the latest EAP version – build 56 but I am still getting the same error.
Please advise me on how to proceed.

Thanks,
Galina.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

Dear Galina,

the next EAP will fix this issues. It will be released soon and we will notify you when it is available for download.

Best regards,
Vladimir Kondratyev
YourKit GmbH
http://www.yourkit.com
"Don't get lost in data, get information!"
grogozinsky

Post by grogozinsky »

Actually after I've downloaded the latest build I can't connect to YKJ neither with attached mode nor by starting my server with profiler.

Both modes worked with previous build. Please help ASAP. Below is my starting command. I'm usong Open JDK 11.

mvn spring-boot:run -Dspring-boot.run.jvmArguments="-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=5005 -agentpath:C:\ProgramData\YourKit\2018.05.63.481F4685\64\yjpagent.dll=disablestacktelemetry,exceptions=disable,delay=10000"
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Could you please provide more detail.

Do you profile locally or remotely? For remote profiling please try adding the startup option "listen=all".

Is the problem that the profiled application is not shown in the list, or that it crashes with the profiler?
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Also, is the profiler agent log file <user home>/.yjp/log/<session name>-<pid>.log created? Could you please provide it e.g. send to [email protected]
mikolajkania

Post by mikolajkania »

It is still not working. JDK 11 was released on September 25, 2018 and it is LTS. Why it takes so much time?
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Please use the latest EAP build. It supports Java 11:
https://www.yourkit.com/eap/
mikolajkania

Post by mikolajkania »

I think it is not fair to release a Java 11 version support just after all the people who bought YourKit during last year sale have their licenses expired. Especially casue JDK 11 was released on September 25, 2018, half a year ago! We bought the support for a year. Java 11 should be in a free update.

I know that is your business, but I'd consider buying new version next year or when the next LTS will be available. This is how you can lost a customer.