Capturing snapshot freezes at 51% - OS X / Idea / Orion

Post by jstepka »

I have the following configuration:

Orion 2.0.2
IDEA 2.0.3
YourKit Java Profiler 4.0 build 524
OS X 10.3.7 - Dual 1.8 G5 - 1 GB DDR SDRAM

java version "1.4.2_05"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_05-141.3)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-38, mixed mode)

--

I am profiling an application that runs in Orion that is primarly calling Hibernate and has a few LDAP calls. When I run the server everything appears to be fine, I am able to launch the Orion application from within IDEA and connect with YourKit no problem.

However, after running the application for a while with CPU method tracing, when I attempt to catpure the snapshot YourKit freezes when writing my snapshot to the harddrive. Sometimes the file is as small at 100 megs, the most recent freeze happened at 222 megs.

Has anyone else run into this issue, is this a know issue?
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

How long do you profile Orion to get such huge CPU snapshot?
jstepka

Additional information for stall on OSX

Post by jstepka »

Vladimir Kondratyev wrote:How long do you profile Orion to get such huge CPU snapshot?
20-30 minutes.

This is a web application that has an administration console that offers SOAP services to multiple clients who are calling for LDAP informaiton. I had about 3-5 clients clicking around in the web-application while the SOAP services were running for a variety of applications.

I am attempting to figure out the weak spots in the application so that I can add caching.

When I got in this morning, the process had dumped another 5% into the complete bar, increasing my 200 meg file to 382384846 for a CPU snapshot.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

We are currently working on this issue under Mac OS X. Most probable upcoming #526 build will fix this problem. I hope that the build will be available today.