Wow - JFR support

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
ArgyVonBargy

Wow - JFR support

Post by ArgyVonBargy »

I've spent the morning having a bit of a play around with the latest access version - the support for JFR files looks really great (as does the support for the line numbers in the deobfuscation of ZKM).

Is the JFR support going to expand further from this point - its great to see the information in there (and even better than it appears to support the deobfuscation out of the box). I'm looking at it wondering if I'll be able to drill down further into the information in the Threads/Memory/Performance Charts views.

Anton Katilin

Re: Wow - JFR support

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi,

Thank you for trying the EAP build.
Is the JFR support going to expand further from this point
Sure.

We'll add more functionality within the upcoming version 2021.11, some functionality will be added in the future versions.
appears to support the deobfuscation out of the box
Yes, the automatic deobfuscation feature works for JFR too.

We try to make the functionality available for YourKit snapshots also available for JFR recordings, whenever applicable.
I'm looking at it wondering if I'll be able to drill down further into the information in the Threads/Memory/Performance Charts views.
Do you mean stack traces?

In "Threads" you can choose which events are included (click individual event types or use "Select/Unselect All" in the popup menu). When events are shown, you can click them to see the stack trace.

(Unlike YourKit Java Profiler results which contain periodically obtained thread samples, for JFR we can show a stack trace for particular event only. Events shown in "Threads" are clickable, but it's unclear which stack to take when clicking e.g a memory usage graph at some time point. We'll think what we can do about that.)

All event detail is also available in the "Events" tab.

Best regards,
Anton
ArgyVonBargy

Post by ArgyVonBargy »

Anton Katilin wrote:
I'm looking at it wondering if I'll be able to drill down further into the information in the Threads/Memory/Performance Charts views.
Do you mean stack traces?

In "Threads" you can choose which events are included (click individual event types or use "Select/Unselect All" in the popup menu). When events are shown, you can click them to see the stack trace.

(Unlike YourKit Java Profiler results which contain periodically obtained thread samples, for JFR we can show a stack trace for particular event only. Events shown in "Threads" are clickable, but it's unclear which stack to take when clicking e.g a memory usage graph at some time point. We'll think what we can do about that.)

All event detail is also available in the "Events" tab.
Yes I was thinking of the stack traces, the interface isn't as intuitive with jfr as it is with hprof files (I do accept that the information available to be displayed is very different).

WIth the CPU view i was interested to see if there was any ability to drill down from the 'CPU usage telemetry', CPU Usage and Threads graphs. To be able to see some stack information, or summary on the threads when clicking on events in that graph would be great.

With the Threads view - I've had a go with selecting individual events, but even just 'Java Thread Start' is 1923 entries - which then means i get the helper text to use a filter to narrow down the list.. I have managed to narrow down the information by knowing the names of the threads/pools that I'm interested in - but that wasn't intuitive.

Great work so far - I look foward to seeing where this goes next!
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Thank you for the feedback. We're working on improving the functionality.
'Java Thread Start' is 1923 entries
Additionally, each event can be seen in the "Events" view.

In the "Event Table" tab you can sort and group events to find and analyze the interesting ones. An event's time point can be opened in the "CPU" tab graphs or in "Performance Charts" by using the popup menu item "View in Graph".

In the "Event Timeline" tab you can see the sequence of events. Nested events if any will be shown as nodes.