wall time for sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
knutwannheden

wall time for sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher

Post by knutwannheden »

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any particular reason why YourKit doesn't by default measure the native methods of sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher using wall time. If yes, why? And are there any other blocking I/O methods in the JDK which are measured using CPU time for the same reason?

Thanks,
Knut
Anton Katilin

Re: wall time for sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hello Knut

CPU tracing by default measures wall time for all methods:
https://www.yourkit.com/docs/java/help/ ... ttings.jsp

CPU sampling by default measures wall time for some I/O methods and Thread.sleep():
https://www.yourkit.com/docs/java/help/ ... ttings.jsp

Please see screenshots in both help topics showing the defaults.

The method you've mentioned is currently not in the list of sampling's wall time defaults. Perhaps we should consider updating this list and investigate whether we should include more methods to it, likely those which appeared since the time the current list had been introduced.

Which other methods would you suggest to have in the list by default?

Please note that you don't have to wait until/whether we update the defaults but customize the list yourself to address your needs.

Best regards,
Anton
knutwannheden

Post by knutwannheden »

Hi Anton,

At the moment the native methods of sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher are the only ones I am aware of which IMHO are missing from this list. I have already added them to the settings I use in YourKit.

I just wanted to make sure that there is no good reason to not include those methods in the list of methods measured using wall time.

It would be great if you could verify that it makes sense to add sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher to the list. If yes, I suppose it could be added to YourKit's default list.

Regards,
Knut
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi Knut,

We will consider adding sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher to the list.

Regards,
Anton