Any plans for ATG Dynamo support?

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
RangerRob

Any plans for ATG Dynamo support?

Post by RangerRob »

I was just wondering if there were any plans to add YourKit support for the ATG Dynamo server?? It seems to be one of the most popular J2EE server for companies in my area and currently it is not officially supported.

In the meantime I will run a few tests to see if I can get YourKit working with ATG Dynamo manually and let you know what happens.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Could you please provide us with a URL where we can download the server to install it and to implement the integration?
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

Hi Anton,

Its a little complicated in that you must for an evaluation copy but it can be downloaded from the ATG site here:

http://www.atg.com/denied/evaluator.jhtml

Most of the companies I know of are using either version 6.3 or the final release of the 5x series but you can get any of them from that URL.

Also I noticed there is currently no support for IBM WebSphere (AS or IDE) which is also a very popular AS, although I'm assuming you can use the Eclipse plugin for the IDE componant?

I didn't get the chance yet but I will try and test YourKit with ATG over the weekend and let you know the results if you are interested.
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

Ok guys, better late than never for that report I suppose. :)

I finally had time to try YourKit 4.0 RC1 with ATG Dynamo through manual configuration today and found that whilst the profiling did appear to work there seemed to be one irregularity with the engine. Here is what I did...

A little trial and error was needed to get it working since I tried the manual configuration a number of times without success. In the end I had a number of other J2EE servers on my computer so I used the YJP UI to perform an automated configuration for BEA, Tomcat, JBoss, and JRun.

After looking through the files this generated I found the JRun one to be the most similar so used that as the basis for my ATG implementation.

After I edited the file setting up JVM ATG was using, I kicked off the server and it started happily with one minor issue - it appeared initialise YJP on three different ports.

Sure enough when I loaded up the YourKit UI, I found I could connect to ATG with no problem, but on three different ports. Admittedly this could be because I put the JVM settings in the wrong place (i.e. one which was loaded repeatedly) so I'm not sure what caused that, but I thought you'd like to know that my ATG profiling tests were successful otherwise.
talanb

Feel like sharing?

Post by talanb »

RangerRob

Any chance that you could share your findings?
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

Yes no problem Talanb. I don't have them on me right now but I will post another reply later tonight when I have access to the machine I did the evaluation work on. I'm assuming you are another ATG user (or are you simply interested for another server implementation)?
talanb

Post by talanb »

Yes. I am another ATG user. We've been running Dynamo for about 4 years now. We're on 5.6.1 now, but we are planning to upgrade to 7.x in the next couple of months.

Looking forward to seeing your integration.

Todd Breiholz
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

Hi Todd,

Open the following file:

%ATG_BASE%\home\localconfig\postEnvironment.bat

At the end of this file add the following lines:

set PATH=C:\\PATH_TO_YOURKIT\\bin\\win32;%PATH%
set JAVA_ARGS=%JAVA_ARGS% -Xrunyjpagent:sessionname=ATGDAS

Next time you start ATG you will notice 6 instances of YourKit will be initialized (this is where I think I made a mistake however other than opening up unecessary instances it seems to have no effect).

Now open up YourKit UI and select to connect to ATG (local or remote, wherever it is) and use the port of the LAST YourKit instance you saw initialized.

You should then be able to profile your applications on that server.

Hopefully that helps.

Best regards,
Rob :)
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

By the way, I should probably add that if you are worried about YourKit running up multiple ports and taking up memory by running 5 uneccessary instances you can add the following line after those two other set statements in postEnvironment.bat:

set JAVA_ARGS=%JAVA_ARGS% -Xrunyjpagent:port=10100,sessionname=ATGDAS

What this basically does is overwrite the YourKit port forcing it to use port 10100 (or any other you specify in its place). Each instance of YourKit appears to overwrite the previous one which essentially means that although ATG is starting 6 YourKit instances you only ever have one active instance, which is the LAST instance of YourKit initialised by ATG (i.e. the one we want anyway).

Personally I like doing that as it makes things a little cleaner. I think the multiple instances issue has to do with the number of DAS modules being run, although my experience with ATG is fairly limited so I'm not 100% on that.
talanb

Post by talanb »

Rob

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try when I get in the office tomorrow.

Todd
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

No problem, let me know how it goes since I've not tried it with the ATG 5x series.