storage area on servers (remnote profiling)

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
nicolasw

storage area on servers (remnote profiling)

Post by nicolasw »

While remote-profiling I see on servers some logs in the user data folder (as documented in the docs section) however the amount of information I see there is quite limited, hence the question : where is the profiling data stored on servers and what kind of volume should I expect with the default setup?
I need this information to clarify whether or not I am able to run permanently yourkit on my systems.
Any guidance appreciated
Anton Katilin

Re: storage area on servers (remnote profiling)

Post by Anton Katilin »

The log files in ~/.yjp/log are for troubleshooting purposes only. They do not contain any user useful information.

Instead, you should explicitly start/stop profiling modes and capture snapshots or remotely connect to the profiled application to see live profiling results.
nicolasw

Post by nicolasw »

I suppose historical information has to be stored somewhere.. what kind of volume of data / logs at any location on the server should I expect?
As I mentioned I need this information to clarify whether or not I am able to run permanently yourkit on my systems.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

As I mentioned I need this information to clarify whether or not I am able to run permanently yourkit on my systems.
Yes you can, but ensure you use appropriate agent startup options. The best way to do this is to use the EE server integration wizard: https://www.yourkit.com/docs/java/help/ ... remote.jsp
I suppose historical information has to be stored somewhere.. what kind of volume of data / logs at any location on the server should I expect?
As I wrote, profiling information is NOT written to disk by itself. Instead you may connect to a running profiling application to see profiling data live (including up to 1 hour of recent telemetry) and/or capture snapshot files for further analysis.