Start up and repaint delay

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
detorres

Start up and repaint delay

Post by detorres »

There's a very significant delay at start up and any time the frame is completely covered and uncovered during which the contents of the frame are completely gray. I am using JDK 1.4.2_04 on Windows XP (with less than a screaming machine). Have you seen this problem? Are you using the system look and feel? I don't know if it has anything to do with XP, but I discovered that creating LARGE buttons is very slow with the XP look and feel. Maybe there are other problems with it that are slowing down YJP.

-Andy
Vladimir Kondratyev

Re: Start up and repaint delay

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

detorres wrote:There's a very significant delay at start up and any time the frame is completely covered and uncovered during which the contents of the frame are completely gray. I am using JDK 1.4.2_04 on Windows XP (with less than a screaming machine). Have you seen this problem? Are you using the system look and feel? I don't know if it has anything to do with XP, but I discovered that creating LARGE buttons is very slow with the XP look and feel. Maybe there are other problems with it that are slowing down YJP.

-Andy
Are you experienced with such delays only when stopwatch is displayed on the backgroud (or even if snapshot file is opened)?
detorres

Post by detorres »

It looks like it's only when the stopwatch is displayed. CPU load goes to 100% (on Windows XP) for as long as about 10 seconds sometimes.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

detorres wrote:It looks like it's only when the stopwatch is displayed. CPU load goes to 100% (on Windows XP) for as long as about 10 seconds sometimes.
Thank you for pointing direction to dig. BTW, couldn't you please do the following:

- launch profiler with yjpagent with CPU profiling enabled
- 3-4 time repeate the delay
- capture CPU snapshot
- send us this zipped snapshot.

this CPU snapshot would be very useful for us, because in our environment everything is fast enought, so I suppose that Java2D works a bit different in our case (perhaps hardware acceleration in a problem)