Cannot connect to Local application

Questions about YourKit .NET Profiler
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Could you please try version 2.0.3 at http://www.yourkit.com/dotnet/download/

Does it fix the problem?
DJarrin

Post by DJarrin »

You guys rock! The new 2.0.3 version fixes the problems I was seeing. I am able to take memory snapshots every time now when launching either outside or inside Visual Studio. Thank you VERY MUCH for your kind and quick response. :D

While I have your attention... The only question I have left is why I can never "display" or open a source file from the Profiler UI. Whether launched from Visual Studio or not I always get an error. I came across the following in the vs-plugin.log:

[YourKit Profiler 2.0.2 for .NET] VS Plugin connected
[YourKit Profiler 2.0.2 for .NET] System.ArgumentException: A Command with that name already exists.
at EnvDTE80.Commands2.AddNamedCommand2(AddIn AddInInstance, String Name, String ButtonText, String Tooltip, Boolean MSOButton, Object Bitmap, Object[]& ContextUIGUIDs, Int32 vsCommandStatusValue, Int32 CommandStyleFlags, vsCommandControlType ControlType)
at YourKit200701311426.VSPlugin.OnConnection(Object application, ext_ConnectMode connectMode, Object addInInst, Array& custom)
[YourKit Profiler 2.0.2 for .NET] System.ArgumentException: A Command with that name already exists.
at EnvDTE80.Commands2.AddNamedCommand2(AddIn AddInInstance, String Name, String ButtonText, String Tooltip, Boolean MSOButton, Object Bitmap, Object[]& ContextUIGUIDs, Int32 vsCommandStatusValue, Int32 CommandStyleFlags, vsCommandControlType ControlType)
at YourKit200701311426.VSPlugin.OnConnection(Object application, ext_ConnectMode connectMode, Object addInInst, Array& custom)
[YourKit Profiler 2.0.2 for .NET] System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80042005
at EnvDTE.TextPoint.TryToShow(vsPaneShowHow How, Object PointOrCount)
at YourKit200701311426.VSPlugin.tryToShow(CodeElement codeType)
[YourKit Profiler 2.0.2 for .NET] No field code type: control
[YourKit Profiler 2.0.3 for .NET] VS Plugin connected
[YourKit Profiler 2.0.3 for .NET] VS Plugin connected
[YourKit Profiler 2.0.3 for .NET] No field code type: _target
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Could you please make sure the version 2.0.2 of the profiler is deinstalled. Possibly there are some caching issue at the VS side.

If simply deinstalling 2.0.2 doesn't help, please install 2.0.3 again. This will cause plugin reinstalling.
DJarrin

Post by DJarrin »

I uninstalled both Profiler versions. Then reinstalled version 2.0.3. Now I don't even get the Visual Studio button to start the Profiler from the IDE. Very strange. I cannot reboot my machine at this time. I can report back next week (under a new topic perhaps) if I cannot get it to work.

Thanks again for your help!
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

I don't think rebooting the machine is necessary.

Instead, restarting VS would help.

The VS plugin is installed when you install the profiler: a registry entry pointing to the plugin files is created, and VS reads it on startup. If at the moment of the profiler installation VS is running, VS will not pick up the changes until it is restarted.
DJarrin

Post by DJarrin »

I am sorry. I forgot to mention that I did restart Visual Studio but no luck. I made sure that Tools/Add-in Manager... has the enabling checkmarks for the Profiler. I restarted Visual Studio a couple of times and nothing. I also made sure that there was no rogue devenv.exe running in my system before I restarted the IDE. Because I had tried these things is that I thought maybe a reboot is in order. I will still try rebooting as soon as I get a chance.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Very strange. We have never seen such problems before.

Could you please let us know after rebooting whether it helps.
DJarrin

Post by DJarrin »

Will do. Thank you again.