IntelliJ - Startup parameter table unusable

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
stanft

IntelliJ - Startup parameter table unusable

Post by stanft »

Hi everyone,

I am using YourKit (current 2016 version) in combination with IntelliJ IDEA 15 and I am having problems with the run configurations. I try to configure a JBoss server run configuration using the YourKit profile. Anyhow, the VM startup parameter table is not usable as the height of the table is too low so that only the column headers are visible.

Is this a known problem? As there a workaround other then to edit the configuration files manually?

Regards,
Stephan
Anton Katilin

Re: IntelliJ - Startup parameter table unusable

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi Stephan

Could you please provide a screenshot.

As a manual workaround:
- from the profiler UI, run "Tools | Integrate with Standalone Java EE Server...." (or from the Welcome screen)
- choose Generic server
- paste the resulting -agentpath option to the IDEA run configuration alongside other JVM options such as -Xmx or -D
- use Run instead of Profile

Best regards,
Anton
stanft

Post by stanft »

Hi Anton,

here is a screenshot that shows the problem:

The table with environment variables is not usable. Window resizing does not help as the height of the table remains fixed.

Regards,
Stephan
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi Stephan

Thanks for the snapshot.

The UI is composed by IDEA. The plugin only provides its panel (the tabbed pane "CPU profiling" and "Advanced") that is inserted where and how IDEA wants. It looks like it is given a bigger weight and thus takes all space.

We'll try to hack this somehow, but we cannot guarantee a success.

We'll post a bug report to JetBrains (or you can do this, if you want). Not sure they will handle this quickly.

Best regards,
Anton
stanft

Post by stanft »

Hi Anton,

thanks for the quick response. Would be great if you could post a bug report and mention it here :-)

Best regards,
Stephan
stanft

Post by stanft »

Great!
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Update: we have made the profiler settings more compact, they now take less space and thus more space is left for other components.

Could you please try whether the fix addresses the problem:

1. Download https://www.yourkit.com/download/tmp/20 ... r-idea.jar
2. Write it over <profiler installation directory>/idea13-plugin/yourkit-for-idea.jar
3. Re-run the IDE integration wizard from the profiler UI.
stanft

Post by stanft »

Hi Anton,

wow ... that was quick. At least the fix allows me to see a single row in the table. So the fix allows me to edit the parameters at least. Thank you very much!!

Now, I hope that the folks at Jetbrains offer a fix that would allow the user to resize the elements or make the area scrollable. That would be best solution in my opinion.

Regards,
Stephan