Installation and usage

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
MartinWalke

Installation and usage

Post by MartinWalke »

Hi,
I've just downloaded the latest Windows version to trial it. I installed according to instruction and added it as a plug-in to Eclipse (Luna). However, when it starts it wanted to find the config file in my D: drive @ D:\.yjp\ide2014.txt but it placed this file in my %USER_PROFILE%\.yjp folder (c:\users ...). Not sure why it was looking in my D: drive but a quick file copy sorted it out. Just to let you know. 8)

However, my real question is: can the profiler show its profile for longer than an hour? My app runs find until about 2 hrs into the program (it does a lot work over 30 threads) and then seems to hang up. However, the display only shows the last hour which is a little restrictive. Is there any way of winding the time back to the start (or whenever) :?:

TIA
Martin
Anton Katilin

Re: Installation and usage

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hello Martin
I've just downloaded the latest Windows version to trial it. I installed according to instruction and added it as a plug-in to Eclipse (Luna). However, when it starts it wanted to find the config file in my D: drive @ D:\.yjp\ide2014.txt but it placed this file in my %USER_PROFILE%\.yjp folder (c:\users ...). Not sure why it was looking in my D: drive but a quick file copy sorted it out. Just to let you know. 8)
Both the profiler client and the profiler plugin in Eclipse are looking for <user home>\.yjp\ide2014.txt. If Eclipse uses a different location (D:\), it possibly has the user home Java property redefined, or runs under a different user.

Anyway, to avoid such or similar issues you can specify the environment variable YOURKIT_HOME to explicitly define the .yjp and the default snapshots directory location.
However, my real question is: can the profiler show its profile for longer than an hour? My app runs find until about 2 hrs into the program (it does a lot work over 30 threads) and then seems to hang up. However, the display only shows the last hour which is a little restrictive. Is there any way of winding the time back to the start (or whenever) :?:
Yes. Please use the startup option "telemetrylimit":
https://www.yourkit.com/docs/java/help/ ... ptions.jsp

Best regards,
Anton
MartinWalke

Post by MartinWalke »

Hi Anton,
Many thanks for the swift reply.
If Eclipse uses a different location (D:\), it possibly has the user home Java property redefined, or runs under a different user.
Yep - dead right. Most of my apps that don't need to be 'installed' e.g. Eclipse, JBoss etc. are loaded onto my D: drive so I'll add the env setting.

And I'll take a look at the telemetry info.

One final question which may be related to the env settings is: if I click on a line in the Stack trace I get a message that it "cannot detect running IDE ...." but the plug-in has been added to Eclipse and I used the Profile option in Eclipse to start my app

Kind regards
Martin.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hello Martin
One final question which may be related to the env settings is: if I click on a line in the Stack trace I get a message that it "cannot detect running IDE ...." but the plug-in has been added to Eclipse and I used the Profile option in Eclipse to start my app
This is the same user home mismatch issue. IDE plugin stores a marker file in its "home", which the profiler UI cannot detect, thus deciding that the plugin is not active.
So, please set YOURKIT_HOME as I suggested. This will solve all these issues.

Best regards,
Anton