Start YourKit on OSX from Shortcut

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
skanjo

Start YourKit on OSX from Shortcut

Post by skanjo »

I recently bought YourKit and installed on MacBook Pro running El Capitan. I have Java 6, 7, and 8 installed with Java 8 the default system JVM. I also have my own user config to specify Java version to use by default, also defaulted to Java 8. After poking around I found the yjp.sh file and in that found the YJP_JAVA_HOME environment variable. After setting that and directly executing yjp.sh it started. Why won't it start from the application shortcut?
skanjo

Re: Start YourKit on OSX from Shortcut

Post by skanjo »

What I failed to mention is that the message I receive when clicking the application shortcut indicates Java is not installed. It seems that the shortcut is executing yjp_mac. I get the same message when directly executing that file. Where is the config for that executable?
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Yes, you should start yjp_mac or <YourKit>.app

JVMs are searched in

~/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines
/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines

Exactly what error message do you get?

The problem must be related with the way you installed Java 8 which is used by default.
Did you install it with the standard installer? Is it located in the mentioned directories?
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Update: to check which JVMs were probed and other detail:
- delete current logs: rm ~/.yjp/log/*
- run the .app or yjp_mac
- log file ~/.yjp/log/yjp_mac-<PID>.log should be created - could you please provide its content.