News Server?

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
Jake.Robwood

News Server?

Post by Jake.Robwood »

Hi,

Do you plan to put a News server asociated with these forums? With news clients it's much better and faster to read and post content than any webinterface.

Thanks,

Jake.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

It's a good idea to make synchronization of forums with NEWS server. We are using phpBB and the only problem is that we do not know how to technically setup such synchronization. Perhaps you could point at some article?
Jake.Robwood

Post by Jake.Robwood »

Vladimir Kondratyev wrote:We are using phpBB and the only problem is that we do not know how to technically setup such synchronization. Perhaps you could point at some article?
Sorry, I'm a Java developer, and I know no PHP software.
If it were in Java, with "Apache James" as news server, wouldn't be to hard to write a small app to communicate with the DB. Even if it's in PHP, if the DB structure is very clear and simple, it's no more than a few days of work to achieve this (because James is very easy to program).
I can't speak for other news server however, but I think James would be very easy to integrate, even without an "out of the box" solution from somewhere :).

It wonders me however the you are using PHP for the formus, since the website is with jsp and your doain is java :).

Jake.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

It wonders me however the you are using PHP for the formus, since the website is with jsp and your doain is java Smile.
The reason why we are using phpBB is that we were looking for simple to install and maintain software for building public forums. It seems that all existing Java based forums do not fit to these requirements.
Jake.Robwood

Post by Jake.Robwood »

Vladimir Kondratyev wrote: The reason why we are using phpBB is that we were looking for simple to install and maintain software for building public forums. It seems that all existing Java based forums do not fit to these requirements.
Yes ,that's true, but "http://www.mvnForum.com" is pretty close to it. It is the most embeded java based forum. The most of the Java based CMSes use mvnForum.

Jake.
P.S. mvnForum still has problems, but at least they are in Java, and one can fix them pretty fast :). Maybe you could help them to fix the memory problems 8) .
sheltonn

Post by sheltonn »

Vladimir Kondratyev wrote:
It wonders me however the you are using PHP for the formus, since the website is with jsp and your doain is java Smile.
The reason why we are using phpBB is that we were looking for simple to install and maintain software for building public forums. It seems that all existing Java based forums do not fit to these requirements.
Jive does that, but it's commercial. It is completely skinnable and customizable. JetBrains runs on that.
Sascha Weinreuter

Post by Sascha Weinreuter »

sheltonn wrote:Jive does that, but it's commercial. It is completely skinnable and customizable. JetBrains runs on that.
I bet they already know that: They are former JetBrains guys :wink: