Capture Snapshot crashes the agent process

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
itaifrenkel

Capture Snapshot crashes the agent process

Post by itaifrenkel »

Im trying to create a Yourkit snapshot (not HPROF) and it crashes the application and reports that no application is running.
I upgraded both the UI and the agent to the latest build 15068. The problem has to do with the process free memory, since if I run for about 20 minutes after the process starts it fails to capture. Could you please elaborate what are the missing memory resources that could cause the process to crash? There is enough free space between the old gen usage and the Xmx (the free memory is more than the used memory of young+old). HPROF works fine, but I need the generation numbers to investigate old object usage.
I have not enabled any object allocation capture.

thanks,
Itai
Anton Katilin

Re: Capture Snapshot crashes the agent process

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi,

Could you please provide the profiler agent log file ~/.yjp/log/<session name>-<pid>.log as well as the JVM crash log hs_err<pid>.log if it is created.

It's a known issue that JVM may fail during memory snapshot capture due to lack of available memory:
https://www.yourkit.com/docs/kb/out_of_memory.jsp

If you cannot capture HPROF which are free of this problem, please ensure the machine has enough virtual memory available (swap file).

Best regards,
Anton