One of crash causes on OSX

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
Max Lanin

One of crash causes on OSX

Post by Max Lanin »

Hi!

I've found what had caused YourKit 2014/2015 startup crashes my OSX 10.10. Maybe someone might find this info useful.

My YourKit was constantly crashing with "EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)". In the thread dump I've noticed java trying to get a list of available input methods.

Code: Select all

19  com.apple.java.JavaRuntimeSupport	0x00000001028e5bcd -[JRSInputMethodController availableInputMethodLocales] + 285
20  libawt_lwawt.dylib            	0x0000000122eefc13 __Java_sun_lwawt_macosx_CInputMethodDescriptor_nativeGetAvailableLocales_block_invoke_1 + 124
It turned out that I've had a custom keyboard layout installed in "~/Library/Keyboard Layouts". As soon as I disabled it in the keyboard preferences the problem went away.

Hope that helps, and have a good day everyone :)
Anton Katilin

Re: One of crash causes on OSX

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi Max

Thank you for providing this detail.

Actually, it's a known problem of the Mac native launcher that it crashes on some machines at exactly this line. At the time of the investigation we didn't know a way to reproduce the crash locally although received multiple crash reports from different users, so thanks for suggesting ~/Library/Keyboard Layouts.

Anyway, the profiler UI since build 14112 is able to automatically restart using yjp.sh in case the native launcher crashes. Did this happen for you?

Best regards,
Anton
Anton Katilin

Re: One of crash causes on OSX

Post by Anton Katilin »

P.S.

We've filed a bug report back in November 2014:
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8065550

Still "Unresolved."