Testing Java 6 7 8

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
Michael.Scaman

Testing Java 6 7 8

Post by Michael.Scaman »

I need to evaluate test of Java 1.6 but the EA says you need Java 8. Is there an older version of the EA I can try...

and a related question is how do people who need to evaluate multiple Java platforms use your tool or even flip between different JVM's for 6 7 8

thanks... just trying to get started with the EA and learning here. Any suggestions appreciated
Anton Katilin

Re: Testing Java 6 7 8

Post by Anton Katilin »

I need to evaluate test of Java 1.6 but the EA says you need Java 8. Is there an older version of the EA I can try...
You must have misinterpreted the message.

Java 8 is required to run the profiler UI itself, but you still can profile Java applications running on Java 6 and newer.
and a related question is how do people who need to evaluate multiple Java platforms use your tool or even flip between different JVM's for 6 7 8
Please see above.

What is your platform by the way? Please note that Windows and Linux bundles already have appropriate JRE on board, so will run out of the box. On other platforms you simply need to install Java 8 in parallel to existing JVMs.
Michael.Scaman

Post by Michael.Scaman »

OK, so just the UI requires Java 8

Mac OS x Yosemite on laptop, Linus on server
I can also switch to Windows on it... but that's less ideal since the target product is linux
I would like to test things on my laptop on Max OS x and also on Linux running on Linux boxes remotedly

thanks
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Mac OS x Yosemite on laptop,
If you plan to run the profiler UI you need to install Java 8 (recommended) or Java 7 (not recommended) in parallel to, I suppose, the existing Apple Java 6.
Linus on server
If you don't need the profiler UI, there is nothing to care about. Otherwise simply use the Linux bundle with the JRE included.
I can also switch to Windows on it
As I wrote, the Windows installer contains the JRE to run the profiler so no extra steps are needed.
Michael.Scaman

Post by Michael.Scaman »

OK...
so the UI is an issue but I am mostly concerned with non UI, linux application so it doesn't sound mostly like an issue

What't the best things to look at to get oriented in using YourKit for a non UI on a remote linux box
(used from Mac OS X )
Michael.Scaman

Post by Michael.Scaman »

and sorry to belabor the issue....

If I use the Windows version can I remotely profile Java on the server
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi Michael

Remote profiling is the best approach.

First, please enable profiling on the remote Linux machine:
https://www.yourkit.com/docs/java/help/ ... remote.jsp

When the application or the EE server you want to profile is up and running, run the profiler locally and connect to the remote application:

https://www.yourkit.com/docs/java/help/ ... filing.jsp

Best regards,
Anton