Adding Startup Options when Starting YourKit

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
NewToYourKit

Adding Startup Options when Starting YourKit

Post by NewToYourKit »

Hi Everyone, I am new to YourKit and just started using it. I started YourKit by running the yjp.sh in bin. The application started and I was able to attach my Java process.

However, it only buffers up to 1 hour of profile. I looked up that there's a startup option telemetrylimit to increase the number of hours for the buffer. But it doesn't indicate how I may add this flag when running with yjp.sh.

Just wonder how may I add startup options when I am running with the yjp.sh? I looked in the JAVA_OPTS but don't think that's the right place to add it.

Any help, pointer or tips will be helpful. Thank you very very much. Have a great day. :)
Anton Katilin

Re: Adding Startup Options when Starting YourKit

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.

Startup options are applicable to profiled applications, yjp.sh starts the profiler UI. These are different things. The startup options should not be applied to yjp.sh unless you plan to profiler the profiler.
http://www.yourkit.com/docs/java/help/s ... ptions.jsp

Do you want to apply the options when attaching the profiler to already running JVM (the attach mode)?
http://www.yourkit.com/docs/java/help/attach_agent.jsp
If yes please use a popup menu action in the list of locally running applications.

Best regards,
Anton
NewToYourKit

Post by NewToYourKit »

Thanks Anton for your response. Yes I want to do the later. I ran yjp.sh, then use the UI to attach to a Java process but the profiling only tracks up to 1 hour. I wonder in the UI where I can adjust the buffer to track at least for the past 5 hours. Anyway of doing that in the UI? Thanks very much for your time and help again :)
NewToYourKit

Post by NewToYourKit »

I just looked through each UI option on top of the attached JVM process. There's an icon (fourth one from the left) is for disabling and enabling the telemetry. However, I believe I need an option to specify the telemetry buffer to be 5 hours instead of 1 hour? Just curious how may I do that in the UI? Thanks very much.
NewToYourKit

Post by NewToYourKit »

Based on instructions on the website, it seems telemetryperiod=<milliseconds> is the only option to extend the buffer. But if show, where do I specify it? That goes back to my first post, I start the application with the command "./yjp.sh". But where do I specific this telemetryperiod=<milliseconds>, as it needs to be configured before starting the profile I believe.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

First, you need "telemetrylimit", not "telemetryperiod":
http://www.yourkit.com/docs/java/help/s ... metrylimit

Second, if you use the attach mode, you need to specify the options when you attach.
As I wrote in my first comment, you should perform attach by using a popup menu item which offers an ability to specify startup options.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

You should right click the application in this list and use "Attach to application (with custom startup options)":