Problems with large (~480 meg) .memory capture

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
Papa Smurph

Problems with large (~480 meg) .memory capture

Post by Papa Smurph »

I'm trying out YourKit with my rather large application. In one case, I need to look at memory usage when an OutOfMemory error occurs when using -Xmx512m. I've had quite a hard time doing this however, for two reasons:

1) My application is using ~600 meg of memory (according to windows task manager). I start yourkit and take a memory capure. The memory usage of the total machine climbs from ~800 meg (my application and the OS and other junk) to ~1.8 Gig of memory. I had to increase the VM setting on my machine because I only have 1 GB of physical RAM! Also, the capture took maybe 30 minutes, I would guess in large part because of the disk swapping that occurred.

2) Examining that memory capure required passing yourkit an -Xmx1024m (I tried 768m but that was not enough). This is not too bad, but smaller would be better. :D The real problem here is that expanding the memory usage tree takes _much_ too long. Opening the package where 95% of the memory usage was, which has ~55 classes took between 5 and 10 minutes!
Papa Smurph

Forgot to say...

Post by Papa Smurph »

I forgot to add that I'm using build 431 of YourKit.