Snapshot Annotations are too hard to find

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
donw

Snapshot Annotations are too hard to find

Post by donw »

I think Snapshot Annotations are an excellent idea. I often find a few hours into profiling something I don't quite confidently remember which snapshot showed what.

So the ability to annotate each snapshot with its circumstances is great.

However, having to click Summary and then click View/edit snapshot annotation just to view the annotation is quite inconvenient.

Also, having to go looking really hard for this feature means that I've never used it until now, and honestly I wish I'd used it many times in the past.

If a "describe your snapshot" dialog popped up every time I saved a snapshot it wouldn't be too annoying for me. And if the snapshot annotation were displayed all the time somewhere obvious (like the sidebar), that also would be preferable to me.

Doubtless a lot of people would hate the dialog, and maybe it would need to be an opt-in thing, but I really do think the Snapshot Annotations should be much easier to find than they are now.
Anton Katilin

Re: Snapshot Annotations are too hard to find

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi,

What if the annotation was accessible from the "Open Snapshot" (Ctrl+O) dialog?
For example, we could add "Edit Annotation" button, as well as show the annotation as a tooltip in the list.

Also, we could show the annotation in a tooltip in the recents list, too.

Best regards,
Anton
donw

Post by donw »

Hi Anton,

Sorry for missing this response. I think including the annotation in the open snapshots dialog and the recent snapshots section of the Welcome screen would help, yes. Possibly not just in the tooltip?

Funnily I just came to the forums to report something else, having not done much profiling between last May and this May. In the meantime I'd forgotten about this useful feature again :)

Thanks for your response,
Don
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hello Don

Thanks for the feedback. We'll update the request with this information.

Best regards,
Anton