[64-bit] Host app crashes during creation of memory snapshot

Questions about YourKit .NET Profiler
matt

[64-bit] Host app crashes during creation of memory snapshot

Post by matt »

Hello,

We're developing a fairly large .NET application and (try/fail to) use Yourkit for heap profiling purposes.

The problem we're facing is that while a heap snapshot is being created, at some point the application will just crash during this process (I think at around 60..80% of the snapshot creation progress). The heap snapshot creation will obviously also be aborted.

I took a look at the dying process, with the VS2008 debugger, and from the call stack it would appear as though the problem is with the Yourkit profiler agent.

I should point out that this is happening ONLY when profiling the 64-bit version of our application, and this is NOT happening with the 32-bit version.

Do you have any idea why creating a heap snapshot might fail. The size of the heap snapshot files varies but is usually between 100..200MB. Is this too large although in that case I'd expect problems with the 32-bit app and probably not with the 64-bit app.

We're using 4.5.1 although the problem was also observed with 4.0. With 3.0.8 we're able to create the snapshots but are unable to load them which is of no use either...

For your help I thank you very much in advance! Please note that this is a blocker for us and currently, none of the 5 licenses we purchased are of any use, due to this (running the 32-bit version of our app is not an option, due to other constraints).

Regards
Matt
Anton Katilin

Re: [64-bit] Host app crashes during creation of memory snapshot

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hello Matt

Could you please send profiler logs ( <user home>/.ynp/logs ) to [email protected]

Best regards,
Anton
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

We've received your logs, and have answered via email.
matt

Post by matt »

Thank you! Lets use e-mail to drive the solution to this issue and then we can report the final outcome here so that it'll be visible to the community.

Thanks again
Matt
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

I understand.

I've notified you in the forum just to make sure you are informed that you should have received answer by email. If you have not received it so far, please check your spam filters.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

This issue is solved in 4.5.2 which is available for download at
http://www.yourkit.com/dotnet/download/