Better names for automatic snapshots

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
Sascha Weinreuter

Better names for automatic snapshots

Post by Sascha Weinreuter »

Is is possible to give the automatically created snapshots on VM shutdown a more descriptive name? Especially when launched from within an IDEA there's the name of the run configuration that I'd like to use as the filenames for the snapshots. That would make it a lot easier to distinguish them: It's quite hard to guess what is what when everything is named shutdown.cpu, shutdown(1).cpu, etc. :)

Sascha
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hello Sascha

Thank you very much for this great suggestion. We'll implement it in the first minor update version that should be released shortly after 4.0 (i.e. 4.0.1).

Best regards,
Anton
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Done in upcoming build 608. It will be available today, please visit http://www.yourkit.com/eap
Sascha Weinreuter

Works great. Another suggestion though: Offer the name of the session when a user manually captures a snapshot in the UI. This could be done by filling in the name into the "File name prefix" textfield and preselecting it in case the user wants to override it.

Sascha
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi Sascha

Thank you for the suggestion to alter session name.

Could you please try the latest build 614. It does not ask user to enter a prefix, forming the snapshot name basing on session name, date and running number if there are several snapshots. It's interesting to hear your feedback. If the used approach works OK without additional UI to alter anything e.g. session name, it'd be better to keep it so because IMHO simplier is better in this situation.

Best regards,
Anton
Sascha Weinreuter

Hi Anton

Yes that change currently works for me, but I can imagine that at some point you might miss the ability to include additional information in the snapshot name, such as a short description of the current state of the application you're profiling. Especially during development when you're making changes and in the end you want to see which one was the best.

Something else: I don't really like that snapshots go to my home directory by default and would prefer if all snapshots went to the current working directory. I'd like to configure that in the default settings for run configs, but that would probably need some kind of macro ($CWD$ or whatever) which would be replaced by the actual directory for each run config. Do you think that's possible?

Cheers,
Sascha