Where is the ignore list in latest version?

Questions about YourKit .NET Profiler
Tobbe

Where is the ignore list in latest version?

Post by Tobbe »

I cant seem to ignore certain applications anymore when profiling. Is this feature removed completely?
Anton Katilin

Re: Where is the ignore list in latest version?

Post by Anton Katilin »

Yes.

Running profiled applications has been totally reworked in version 7.

Each type of profiled applications now has a dedicated control on the Welcome screen.
Most applications can be explicitly started with the profiler instead of enabling profiling globally.

The old pre-7 behavior can be achieved with Note: the previous behavior can be achieved by using actions "Profile all .NET processes"
http://www.yourkit.com/docs/net70/help/ ... al_all.jsp
or "Profile next .NET process"
http://www.yourkit.com/docs/net70/help/ ... l_next.jsp
Tobbe

Post by Tobbe »

I will not contest your word, BUT. I feel when having multiple .NET applications running (status "read to attach") I notice significant slowdowns of my entire machine. .NET building times are awful when yourkit is running (regardless of profiling mode) (we do "post build events" and its them I want to put in the ignore list)

I'm trying to debug (vs2010) an ASP.NET application running .. Am i using the application wrong? What does status "read to attach" mean?
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

The status "Ready for attach" means that the profiler agent has not been loaded to the application.

If you have profiling enabled with "Profile all .NET processes" (or "Profile Next...") the agent should load and thus status must be "Ready for profiling".

So, if profiling is not enabled + applications are shown as "Ready for attach" I don't understand how it is possible that the profiler has any effect on them.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

An update:

The only explanation I can offer now is that the applications actually start with the profiler i.e. load the agent, but the status updates with a delay. The list of locally running applications is updated with some period, so delays are possible. Please check whether the profiler agent log file is created <user home>/.ynp/log/<PID>.log
If it does, the agent is loaded.