Fully featured low overhead profiler for Java EE and Java SE platforms.
Ultimate profiling and monitoring solution for Gradle, Maven, Ant, JUnit and TestNG.
Easy to use performance and memory profiler for .NET framework.

Incomplete calling stack information

Moderators: Vladimir Kondratyev, Anton Katilin

Incomplete calling stack information

Postby jpg » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:00 pm

Hello,

Currently evaluating the product, so my question may be because of a lack of configuration. After profiling an ASP.NET application, I go to the method list and I filter to get String.ToUpper(). In the Back Traces below, I do not see all the direct callers of this method. For example, I know function A calls it directly during the scenario sampled, and it is not shown, whereas function B, that calls directly function C that calls function A, is shown.

I was wondering whether that could be because the only code in function B is the call to function C, so it is so quick that it loses track, but since stack trace is not related with profiler sampling rate, I do not think this can be it. I thought it could be because the library containing A had not PDB, but that is not the case, and I know for sure that it is loaded even before I started profiling, since it is very low level.

Thanks in advance for any help,

JP Gouigoux
jpg

Re: Incomplete calling stack information

Postby Anton Katilin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:04 pm

Hello JP Gouigoux

Please try changing the filters:
http://www.yourkit.com/docs/net50/help/filters.jsp

Best regards,
Anton
Anton Katilin

Re: Incomplete calling stack information

Postby jpg » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanks, Anton. That was the problem indeed. I thought the selected items showed the filtered IN methods, but realized after they show the filtered OUT ones.

Cheers,

JP
jpg

Return to .NET Profiler