No applications show up to monitor

Questions about YourKit .NET Profiler
Granticus

Re: No applications show up to monitor

Post by Granticus »

feal wrote:I've resolved everything by removing all the environment variables regarding Yourkit from the registry, it seems that they were the problem in the first place. Thanks for your help.
Would you mind posting what those registry keys/values were? I am still dead in the water and am unable to evaluate YourKit.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

Please try to do two experiments:

1)
- Delete all log files in %USER_HOME%\.ynp\log directory
- Start demo application from "Welcome" screen. If it will not appear in "monitor" section, please close demo application and send us _all_ log files.

2) Try to follow instructions at http://www.yourkit.com/docs/net40/help/ ... remote.jsp to enable profiling via OR_PROFILER and COR_ENABLE_PROFILING environment variables.
Will demo application appear in "monitor" section after OS reboot?
Granticus

Post by Granticus »

Vladimir Kondratyev wrote: 1)
- Delete all log files in %USER_HOME%\.ynp\log directory
- Start demo application from "Welcome" screen. If it will not appear in "monitor" section, please close demo application and send us _all_ log files.
I did this and emailed the log files to [email protected] on 6/27 and have not received a response.
2) Try to follow instructions at http://www.yourkit.com/docs/net40/help/ ... remote.jsp to enable profiling via OR_PROFILER and COR_ENABLE_PROFILING environment variables.
Will demo application appear in "monitor" section after OS reboot?
I will try this step and let you know the results.
Vladimir Kondratyev

I see in the log files that profiler agent is successfully hooked into the CLR.
[ 0.005] getStartupStringOption(YNP_WALLTIMESPEC_PATH):
[ 0.006] env=C:\Users\Grant\.ynp\config\.walltime
[ 0.232] agent is listening on port 62115
Please try to

1) delete all the logs
2) Launch demo application
3) Open log and find "agent is listening on port XXXXX" string
4) Go "File | Connect to Remote Application..." and use localhost:XXXX, where XXX is port value from log file.
Granticus

Post by Granticus »

When I followed your instructions I get "There's no application running at localhost with profile agent configured to listen on port 50553", which was the port it was supposedly listening on. What should I try next?
Vladimir Kondratyev

This is _definitely_ fire-wall issue. Profiler agent prints message that it listens port 50553. UI tries to connect to the port and fails. Do you have fire-wall or antiviral software which might prevent port communication?

We have just released version 4.0.5 http://www.yourkit.com/dotnet/download/ It has better error handling and always tries to use ports from default range 10001-10010. Does it work better for you?

What is the output of netstat command when demo application runs with profiler agent?
Granticus

Post by Granticus »

Still having the same issue with 4.0.5. I do have Windows Firewall running but set up an inbound rule for profile.exe to allow access to all ports and all protocols. AFAIK that's the only firewall software I have running. I do have CA Antivirus running, but that shouldn't affect the ports, should it?
Granticus

Post by Granticus »

Also, I am experiencing the same issue even when I disable the Windows Firewall in the Domain, Private, AND Public profiles.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

set up an inbound rule for profile.exe to allow access to all ports and all protocols
There are two side of communication. Please ensure the port is enabled for the profiled application too.
I do have CA Antivirus running, but that shouldn't affect the ports, should it?
It could. Please try disabling it.

Anyway, there is definitely some software or settings which prevent socket communication on your machine.
Granticus

Post by Granticus »

A followup:

I never did get YourKit Profiler to work... until today. The issue for me was not the firewall at all. It turned out to be my hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) that was causing the problem. I had this:

::1 localhost

but changed it to this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
# Causes problems when using localhost
#::1 localhost

and now the profiler is able to find .Net apps. Just thought you'd want to know.
Vladimir Kondratyev

That's great that you found the reason of the problem. Actually the upcoming version of YourKit .NET Profiler http://www.yourkit.com/dotnet/eap/ better detects running .NET applications. It even can detect .NET applications which run without YourKit profiler agent. We are recommending to take a look at new version.