YOURKIT .NET 3.0

Questions about YourKit .NET Profiler
rkarthikeyan

YOURKIT .NET 3.0

Post by rkarthikeyan »

I have downloaded and been trying the latest version for a day.

In the new version, I don't see a way to specify the path of the .exe file when trying to do a local profile. Is that functionality removed?

Also, could someone give more description on how to do the remote profiling? what are the requirements? and things to do before actually starting the profiler?

As the help is not available yet, I would like to have some suggestions on the above. Thanks.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

In the new version, I don't see a way to specify the path of the .exe file when trying to do a local profile. Is that functionality removed?
Just start the application in the way you usually do it (e.g. from Visual Studio, or manually launching the application .exe, or launching server etc.) when profiling is enabled in the profiler Welcome screen.
Also, could someone give more description on how to do the remote profiling?
Install the profiler on the remote machine. Launch the application with profiling (see above).

Then you can connect to the profiler application from any other machine, or from the same machine.
rkarthikeyan

Post by rkarthikeyan »

Install the profiler on the remote machine.
Does this mean that I have to run the setup of yourkit on all the servers that I need to monitor? I am confused about the REMOTE profiling then..

Thanks in advance.
Anton Katilin (YourKit)

Post by Anton Katilin (YourKit) »

Yes, you have to install profiler on every machine where you plan to run profiling applications.

After that you can run the profiler another machine to be able to profile remotely.

There's no change in this aspect in comparison with previous versions.

Note, you don't have to keep the profiler UI always running on the remote host. Instead, once being installed and configured, the profiler will enable profiling of applications running on the host.
rkarthikeyan

Post by rkarthikeyan »

Thanks Anton

So multiple installs mean multiple licenses? If I purchase one license would this not solve the purpose ?

I am relatively new to YourKit and trying to get more information.

Thanks for your understanding
Anton Katilin (YourKit)

Post by Anton Katilin (YourKit) »

So multiple installs mean multiple licenses?
This is so for the .NET profiler.