Feature request: cycle/duplicate indication

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
tombrus

Feature request: cycle/duplicate indication

Post by tombrus »

I would like duplicates of objects to light up when I move my mouse over an object. Currently I am constantly comparing #numbers to check if I see the same object multiple times.

:idea: Nice idea?

-Tom
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

As I understand you are talking about views where incoming/outgoing references are shown.

Am I right that you want to highlight all ocurences of some particular object in the tree? We can consider this feature but we are interested in what task are you going to solve with help of this feature?
tombrus

Post by tombrus »

You are right, twice.

The task I mostly perform is making sense of a vast mesh of interconnecting objects and finding out why things are not GCed (leaks ;)). Specially in the situation of (indirect) cyclic references I sometimes go round deeper and deeper before regognizing the cycle. The same sequence of objects unfolds over and over. If one of the ancesters would highlight I would immediately see that I would be going down a cycle.

Maybe less frequent but also useful would it be in the situation where many root references go through basically the same 'pivot'. This pivot would be highlighted in many root paths. It would give me a better insight with less inspection.

Does that make sense?
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

I see your point. We'll add this feature to list of features planned for next version. It's not difficult to implement I think :)
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hello,

This is more difficult to implement than as we thought when we promised this for the next version :)

Version 4.0 will be released on February 10, and this feature will be implemented after 4.0 (maybe 4.1 that should not come long after 4.0). I'm sorry.

Best regards,
Anton
tombrus

Post by tombrus »

Such is life!
I know the routine ;).
Thanks for the info.

Tom