Wanted: Classes in the GC Roots Organized by Package

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler

Would grouping the classes by package in the GC-Roots viewer be helpful?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:45 pm

Yes, very helpful
33%
Somewhat useful
33%
No, a waste of time
33%
No, and would make GC analysis more difficult
No votes

Total votes: 3

Jim Bowman

Wanted: Classes in the GC Roots Organized by Package

Post by Jim Bowman »

I really like how you have organized the classes by package in the Live-Objects-Statistics viewer. It makes it easy to drill down only where you want to drill down. It keeps the view from being overwhelming. It would be helpful to group the classes by package in the GC Roots as well.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

I really like how you have organized the classes by package in the Live-Objects-Statistics viewer. It makes it easy to drill down only where you want to drill down. It keeps the view from being overwhelming. It would be helpful to group the classes by package in the GC Roots as well.
I think that the "GC Roots" views is almost useless. At least I do not see any real usecase how it could used for memory leak finding or any optimization. Actually it was implemented only for educational purposes. For example, to see how objects reference to each other, etc.

But it seems that UI for showing arbitrary set of objects (action F4 "View | Selection in New Tab") should be improved. Actually we are currently working on it. There will be following changes:

1. Objects will be groupped by classes.
2. It will be possible to open any number of object (currently only 500). Objects will be gropped by chunks
3. Objects will be sorted by their shallow size
4. It will be possible to see allocation hot spots for them
5. It will be possible to present them ala live-objects-statics, with groupping by packages and with retained size.