Fully featured low overhead profiler for Java EE and Java SE platforms.
Performance monitoring and profiling of Jenkins, TeamCity, Gradle, Maven, Ant, JUnit and TestNG.
Easy to use performance and memory profiler for .NET framework.

News Server?

Moderators: Vladimir Kondratyev, Anton Katilin

News Server?

Postby Jake.Robwood » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:26 pm

Hi,

Do you plan to put a News server asociated with these forums? With news clients it's much better and faster to read and post content than any webinterface.

Thanks,

Jake.
Jake.Robwood

Postby Vladimir Kondratyev » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:16 am

It's a good idea to make synchronization of forums with NEWS server. We are using phpBB and the only problem is that we do not know how to technically setup such synchronization. Perhaps you could point at some article?
Vladimir Kondratyev

Postby Jake.Robwood » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:50 am

Vladimir Kondratyev wrote:We are using phpBB and the only problem is that we do not know how to technically setup such synchronization. Perhaps you could point at some article?

Sorry, I'm a Java developer, and I know no PHP software.
If it were in Java, with "Apache James" as news server, wouldn't be to hard to write a small app to communicate with the DB. Even if it's in PHP, if the DB structure is very clear and simple, it's no more than a few days of work to achieve this (because James is very easy to program).
I can't speak for other news server however, but I think James would be very easy to integrate, even without an "out of the box" solution from somewhere :).

It wonders me however the you are using PHP for the formus, since the website is with jsp and your doain is java :).

Jake.
Jake.Robwood

Postby Vladimir Kondratyev » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:18 am

It wonders me however the you are using PHP for the formus, since the website is with jsp and your doain is java Smile.

The reason why we are using phpBB is that we were looking for simple to install and maintain software for building public forums. It seems that all existing Java based forums do not fit to these requirements.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Postby Jake.Robwood » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:27 am

Vladimir Kondratyev wrote:The reason why we are using phpBB is that we were looking for simple to install and maintain software for building public forums. It seems that all existing Java based forums do not fit to these requirements.

Yes ,that's true, but "http://www.mvnForum.com" is pretty close to it. It is the most embeded java based forum. The most of the Java based CMSes use mvnForum.

Jake.
P.S. mvnForum still has problems, but at least they are in Java, and one can fix them pretty fast :). Maybe you could help them to fix the memory problems 8) .
Jake.Robwood

Postby sheltonn » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:38 pm

Vladimir Kondratyev wrote:
It wonders me however the you are using PHP for the formus, since the website is with jsp and your doain is java Smile.

The reason why we are using phpBB is that we were looking for simple to install and maintain software for building public forums. It seems that all existing Java based forums do not fit to these requirements.

Jive does that, but it's commercial. It is completely skinnable and customizable. JetBrains runs on that.
sheltonn

Postby Sascha Weinreuter » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:40 am

sheltonn wrote:Jive does that, but it's commercial. It is completely skinnable and customizable. JetBrains runs on that.

I bet they already know that: They are former JetBrains guys :wink:
Sascha Weinreuter

Return to Java Profiler