How to embed?

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
Jake.Robwood

How to embed?

Post by Jake.Robwood »

Hi,

I saw that Jetbrains has embeded YourKit in their new IntelliJ EAP. It's just cool :oops: .
Is there an "out of the box" solution to do this?
I can think of lot of projects that would benefit from such an "integration".

If so, what license is correct for this scenario?

Thanks,

Jake
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

I saw that Jetbrains has embeded YourKit in their new IntelliJ EAP. It's just cool Embarassed .
Is there an "out of the box" solution to do this?
Default installation pack contains all necessary file to embed profiler. Actually you need:

1. Smal JAR file with profiler API (yjp-controller-api-redist.jar, about 6Kb)
2. libyjpagent.so or yjpagent.dll

you can redistribute all these file without any royalties. To work with API you do not need to redistribute your license key.
If so, what license is correct for this scenario?
You have an ability to embed profiler if you have any type of license (excepting evaluation, of course)
Jake.Robwood

Post by Jake.Robwood »

Vladimir Kondratyev wrote: Default installation pack contains all necessary file to embed profiler.
Ok, I found it, and I found the API for it too. Now I could make this too, but:
- It's not an out of the box solution and the most of develpers won't be able to do this.
- you should have this "embeding feature" in your "feature list". Most of the programmers do not even think to use such a feature because they think it would make the application too slow. Only after I tryed Intellij IRIDA, I saw that it's fast enough.
- a simple "embeding exemple" (better two: Swing based, and J2EE based :) ), so that everyone can convince itself in 2 minutes that you are right, and embeding a profiler is fast enough (95% of programmers think the opposite).
- a Help page dedicated to it, and explaining the examples.
- on theserverside, javalobby, et. Co, state the above feature very clear, so that others see it.
I can speak for myself: when I saw your posting, I wasn't very curious to try it. Only after I saw the integration in IRIDA, I saw the real value of it :). If I wasn't a big IntelliJ fan... :), and the most of develpers out there are not participating in the IRIDA EAP, to see this feature.

IMHO, you could gain the most of the customers with this feature :), because embeding is the only "real profile" solution, and not when the developer himself starts the profiler with the application. The developer will not allways behave the same as a user.

Jake.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

Thank you very much for pointing right direction. We will try to describe this feature more clear in the documentation, provide additional samples, etc.

BTW, currently we are preparing set of articles about profiler and some interesting profiling tricks. It seems that acticle about embedding is a good candidate for publication.
brownalan

Embedding is a great idea...

Post by brownalan »

I just wanted to add my complete agreement to this topic. Embedding is a super powerful tool that I can't wait to integrate into our product offering. Can you point me toward the docs that will walk me through setting this up.

thanks

alan
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

I also agree with Jake, however I wouldn't know where to start with the embedding so would be an example of somebody who could benefit from the suggestions he raised on the 1st of this month.

My I also say that I think allowing JetBrains to embed YourKit in the Irida EAP was a masterstroke since it's already gaining a lot of exposure among their developer community from it, even those not taking part in the EAP have been talking about it somewhat.