Collectable objects in Generation view of Strong Reachable ?

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
Yannis

Collectable objects in Generation view of Strong Reachable ?

Post by Yannis »

Hi !

From a memory dump taken at shutdown, in the By Class view of the Strong Reachable tab, I can see that I only have 3 retained instances of some class. So far, so good.

Yet, when I go to the By Generation view, still in the Strong Reachable tab, I can see far more instances per generation : indeed, instances were allocated there but they are no longer live !

So why are they still reported there ?

I'm using YourKit 2015 EAP build 15026.

Best regards,
Yannis
Anton Katilin

Re: Collectable objects in Generation view of Strong Reachab

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi Yannis

Could you please provide screenshots demonstrating the problem.

Best regards,
Anton
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Anton Katilin wrote:Hi Yannis
Could you please provide screenshots demonstrating the problem.
Best regards,
Anton
Sorry but no, I had to delete the hprof once I analyzed it due to disk space constraints (I have now installed a larger SSD ;-)) and I haven't had time to reproduce the issue...

Sorry for this unexploitable report but do we agree that, from the Strong Reachable tab, the sum of element per class in the Per Generations view should be equal to the corresponding value in the Per Class view ?

I'll try to be more precise next time...

Best regards,
Yannis
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hello Yannis
do we agree that, from the Strong Reachable tab, the sum of element per class in the Per Generations view should be equal to the corresponding value in the Per Class view ?
Yes, because they represent the same set of objects. Please note that this is true for object counts and shallow sizes, but not to retained sizes which do not sum up to 100% in a general case.

Best regards,
Anton