Cannot listed on port

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
jhatcher

Cannot listed on port

Post by jhatcher »

I don't think this is a bug with YourKit Java Profiler (which is fantastic by the way, well done) but I was wondering whether you could help. I recently upgraded to Eclipse 3.1 M2 and YourKit Java Profiler 3.1. When I try and profile my Eclipse application the following error is produced in the console: -

[YourKit Java Profiler 3.1 #447] cannot start: cannot listen on port 9001

I have tried changing the port via the properties file, but it doesn't make a difference. Any ideas, has anyone seen this before?

Thanks
Jon
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

Probably a stupid question as I'm sure you've already checked (and I know you mentioned you tried changing the port)... but is port 9001 being used by anything other than YourKit??
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

One of the possible reasons is that there's a firewall that prevents the port from being opened. For example, Windows XP SP2 enables firewall that makes it very easy, ignoring firewall's alert message, to break ability of Java apps to open ports.
jhatcher

Post by jhatcher »

Thanks everyone for your input, I've double checked port access and firewall setttings. It doesn't seem to be the problem. I confirmed this by creating a new Java project and profiling that. I suspect my projects have something attached to them from when I was using Eclipse 3.0 that isn't compatable with Eclipse 3.1 M2....I'm guessing it's a Java JRE setting of some sort, although I didn't think this information was persisted by the .project or .classpath. A little confused at the moment. Thanks all the same.

Jon