Mac OS/X support?

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
pclark

Mac OS/X support?

Post by pclark »

Howdy:

I'm evaluating java profilers, and I'm looking for profilers that support windows, solaris, linux, and mac os/x. Are there any plans to extend YourKit to work on Mac OS/X with Intellij IDEA?

Thanks!
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

pclark

d'Oh!

Post by pclark »

Thanks. We'll be eagerly awaiting mac os/x support, when apple fixes their problems. Have you been talking to anyone at apple developer support?
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Unfortunatelly Apple is exteremely non-cooperative. They even do not responde to submitted bug reports. Probably if we had direct contacts to responsible people things could be better... Anyway, I don't believe that any changes are possible in Mac Java 1.4, so we have to wait until Java 5.0 is ported to Mac and have to hope it would work properly.
proyal

profiler only, no agent?

Post by proyal »

Is it possible to run the profiler on OS X connecting to agents on Linux/win32 and to use it on OS X to analyze snapshots created on other platforms?
-pete
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

Currently it's not possible, because profiler UI isn't tested on OS X (and I suppose has numerous problems due to numerous OSX-Swing problems)
proyal

Post by proyal »

Vladimir Kondratyev wrote:Currently it's not possible, because profiler UI isn't tested on OS X (and I suppose has numerous problems due to numerous OSX-Swing problems)
ah, that's unfortunate.

any possibility of getting that fixed in a future patch release? :)
-pete
Jake.Robwood

Post by Jake.Robwood »

Vladimir Kondratyev wrote:Currently it's not possible, because profiler UI isn't tested on OS X (and I suppose has numerous problems due to numerous OSX-Swing problems)
I understand your position regarding OSX, and I know that Apple is not "playing by the rules" :), but you should still consider some sort of integration, especially for NonSwing applications.
Here are my reasons:
- there is a very widespreaded Apple application called WebObjects, that has a very big user base.
- WebObjects still has no real concurrence (may Jetbrains Fabrique will be :) ), and the most of the big banks are using it.
- making a "simple" WebObjects "integration" (or just nonSwing OSX support), would bring you a huge potential customer base :).

Jake.
proyal

4.0 EAP has Mac OS X support!

Post by proyal »

I just wanted to let everyone know that the 4.0 EAP has Mac OS X support! Download and give feedback so we can make it the best t can be!