Legacy Java 1.6 RMI / JDBC Application

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
robinroos

Legacy Java 1.6 RMI / JDBC Application

Post by robinroos »

Hello

We are looking for a profiler but have not yet licensed the YourKit product. I have a few questions regarding the capabilities of YourKit Java Profiler.

The application in question is a packaged application comprising Vendor-provided JARs and an additional JAR of classes which are authored by my team in-house and execute in-process within the packaged app.

The runtime architecture comprises a number of JVMs which use RMI to communicate with a "central" JVM which itself uses JDBC to communicate to an Oracle database.

None of the JVM processes is a formal Application Server or Container, although there is limited use of some Spring capabilities within the "central" JVM process.

We do not have access to source code for any of the Vendor-provided JARs.

I would like better to understand what profiling of SQL invocations would be available, in light of the fact that we cannot alter source code such that methods are annotated for use by the "Database" probe.

Thanks, Robin.
Anton Katilin

Re: Legacy Java 1.6 RMI / JDBC Application

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi Robin

Source code is not necessary for profiling.
In particular, the probes do not require any modifications of the profiled classes.

The probe annotations mentioned in the documentation are about writing your own, custom probes, but there is nothing you should do with them to use existing, built-in probes, Databases for example.

Anyway, you are welcome to try the profiler for free to ensure it works in your environment:
http://www.yourkit.com/download

Best regards,
Anton
robinroos

Re: Legacy Java 1.6 RMI / JDBC Application

Post by robinroos »

Many thanks, Anton.