IDEA plugin (build 439) ignores web launch settings

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
RangerRob

IDEA plugin (build 439) ignores web launch settings

Post by RangerRob »

In the YourKit plugin (build 439) for IntelliJ IDEA I have noticed a number of (relatively minor) issues, more to do with the percieved usability of the plugin than bugs as such.

1> (as title) IDEA plugin (build 439) ignores web launch settings

In the "Edit Configurations" section of IDEA under any of the web server tabs (JSR45, Tomcat, WebLogic etc) there is a lower level "Server" tab with an option to "Start browser" and a "Startup page". When I launch the "Profile" option on my smart icons bar I would expect this to pickup the settings I had (if I want to launch the browser etc) in my Configuration, just as launching it in a "Run" or "Debug" environment does.

2> Running more than one instance of the YourKit UI

When you click on the "Launch YourKit Java Profile UI" option on my icons bar I would only expect it to ever open up one instance of YourKit unless I specifically said otherwise. Here's how I see the functionality should be:
  1. User clicks on "Launch YourKit Java Profile UI" icon.
  2. Background task checks to see if YouKit UI is already running.
  3. If UI is already running it asks the user if they are meaning to load another instance (if not it will simply start YourKit UI as is does now).
  4. If the user selects "No" then instead of loading a new instance of YourKit UI it will simply transfer focus to the existing running instance.
I think this would make the whole integration of YourKit more in-keeping with IDEA and more user friendly overall.

3> Wording in "Lookup locally running applications"

After you have launched the YourKit UI from IDEA within the UI you have the option to "Lookup locally running profiled applications". In the window that pops up (Applications being profiled) it tells you all the instances of profileable applications currently running on your machine. This is good, however with applications with the profiling enabled through IDEA I've noticed that in parenthesis beside your project name it will say "applicationNames(launchedsfromsIDEA)". I'm assuming the s's are a typo of some sort which is supposed to be a SPACE rather than an s.

That's all I have so far... I realise these are all fairly minor (some cosmetic) issues, but fixing them should improve the "polish" so hopefully they are worthwhile posting.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi,

Thank you very much for these suggestions.
1> (as title) IDEA plugin (build 439) ignores web launch settings
At a first sight this seems to be an IDEA problem rather than our one. Anyway I'll take a closer look and will investigate it.
2> Running more than one instance of the YourKit UI
Agree. We'll implement this behaviour in 3.1.
We are investigating this issue. I'll notify when it's fixed.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

After you have launched the YourKit UI from IDEA within the UI you have the option to "Lookup locally running profiled applications". In the window that pops up (Applications being profiled) it tells you all the instances of profileable applications currently running on your machine. This is good, however with applications with the profiling enabled through IDEA I've noticed that in parenthesis beside your project name it will say "applicationNames(launchedsfromsIDEA)". I'm assuming the s's are a typo of some sort which is supposed to be a SPACE rather than an s.
This must be an issue with profiled agent parameters passed via command line of profiled application. Plugin quotes run configuration name to eliminate spaces and other possible "bad" characters from being inserted to the command line which is then processed by IDEA. We have changed the method of quoting between some of EAP builds. I think that the possible reason is that you have plugin and the profiler from different versions (builds). Could you please re-install the plugin from the latest build and try again?

I have tried myself the latest build, and it works OK - the plugin generates proper command line, and then the lookup window shows run configuration names properly "unquoted", i.e. with spaces, not with strange characters.
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

Hi Anton,

I have tried deleting the plugin from the %IDEA_HOME%/plugins directory and then using the "Integrate with IDE..." option from YourKit to re-install it again, however I am still coming out with the same problem.

In case it makes any difference I am using IDEA 4.5 on Windows XP SP2.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

I have tried deleting the plugin from the %IDEA_HOME%/plugins directory and then using the "Integrate with IDE..." option from YourKit to re-install it again, however I am still coming out with the same problem.
Couldn't you please give us whole output from IDEA console ("Run" toolwindow). We need to know command line that IDEA generates to launch your application.
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

I don't run IDEA with a console, on Win XP it runs with an .exe file so I don't get any kind of console output from it and YourKit UI loads silently for me (no console their either). I'm happy to give you my console output providing you can tell me where to get it from.
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

Ahh don't worry I see what you are saying...

My JAVA_OPTS under my Startup/Connection configuration for "Profile" is as follows:

Code: Select all

-Xrunyjpagent:port=10001,sessionname=StrutsTemplate^s(launched^sfrom^sIDEA)
I can see that the ^s are probably causing the problem, however this line was generated automatically when I installed the YourKit plugin and I can't seem to modify/remove it.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to reproduce problem #3. It seems that you have some very old yjpagent.dll file from previously installed YourKit Java Profiler. Please try to search yjpagent.dll on whole your hard drives (perhaps, some old copy is in System32 directory).
Last edited by Vladimir Kondratyev on Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Regarding problem #1. I've just tried latest IDEA release build (2244) and "Start browser" option doesn't have any affect even in "Run" mode, so it looks like IDEA problem. I'll contact JB developers and report this problems to them.
RangerRob

Post by RangerRob »

Vladimir Kondratyev wrote:It seems that you have some very old yjpagent.dll file from previously installed YourKit Java Profiler. Please try to search yjpagent.dll on whole your hard drives (perhaps, some old copy is in System32 directory).
Sorry for the delayed response. I did the search as you requested and only found two instances of yjpagent.dll on my hard drive. The first was in my YourKit directory for the current version and the second was in the zip archive I downloaded of the same version.