Server side memory capture issue

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
abhishek

Server side memory capture issue

Post by abhishek »

Doing remote java profiling on the server from local machine. While capturing memory snap in server side profiling its taking too long to capture.And its saving on the server itself,is there any setting to save memory snap shot on the local machine as i am worried of space issue on the server.
Anton Katilin

Re: Server side memory capture issue

Post by Anton Katilin »

No. Memory snapshots are always captured at the same machine as the profiled application.
When you profile a remote application, the profiler UI offers to automatically transfer a copy of the captured snapshot to the local machine.
abhishek

Post by abhishek »

issue 1-Getting error message upon opening memory snap shot -"not a valid snapshot file".
Step done-
1-capture screen shot in yourkit java profiler format set
2-capture and transfer(compressed)

issue 2-Losing focus on yourkit while running a test .
abhishek

Post by abhishek »

Hi Anton,

Upon analysis i found that memory snapshot having size 1gb and more which are giving error message "not a valid snapshot file" don't have index file corresponding to them.As,it can be seen in the memory snapshot which are opening without any issue.Could you site me the reason why the index files are missing?

Thanks in advance,
Abhishek
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hello Abhishek
issue 1-Getting error message upon opening memory snap shot -"not a valid snapshot file".
Step done-
1-capture screen shot in yourkit java profiler format set
2-capture and transfer(compressed)
Could you please provide an example of such snapshot. Please zip it and share with DropBox or a similar service. You can send the download link to [email protected]

Without the snapshot we can't tell what the problem is.
issue 2-Losing focus on yourkit while running a test .
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. Could you please describe the problem in more detail.
Upon analysis i found that memory snapshot having size 1gb and more which are giving error message "not a valid snapshot file" don't have index file corresponding to them.As,it can be seen in the memory snapshot which are opening without any issue.Could you site me the reason why the index files are missing?
You should not worry about index files. Their only purpose is to speed up snapshot loading if you open it more than once. Obviously, if snapshot did not open (was reported invalid) no index file is created for it.
abhishek

Post by abhishek »

Hi Anton,

I uploaded the snap shot file and mailed to [email protected]. Kindly ,look into the issue and provide with your helpful solution.

thanking,
Abhishek
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi Abhishek

We've answered by email.
abhishek

Post by abhishek »

Hi Anton,
Still facing issue in opening snap shot.Mailed you the zipped file on your gmail .Kindly,look into it and provide help .

Thanks in advance,
Abhishek
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi Abhishek

We've answered by email. In short: the snapshot seems truncated for some reason.
abhishek

Post by abhishek »

Hi Anton,

What is the solution for this.is the version updation a solution to it or kindly suggest a solution to this problem.

thanks in advance,
Abhishek
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

We do not the reason why the spanshot is truccated. For example, there is not enough space to save full snapshot file. May be snapshot was trancated during transfer from server machine to the machine where you analyse it.

If you always get such truncated snapshot, please send us all logs from ~/.yjp/ directory.