unit of time

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
plethora

unit of time

Post by plethora »

Most views in YourKit use milliseconds as the unit of measure for time. This is a sensible default.
However, in some profiling use cases I'm looking at long running operations, potentially spanning hours.
In such cases, it makes more sense to work with either seconds or minutes.

I think it would be useful if I could change the way that time is displayed in the various views that YourKit supports.
Anton Katilin

Re: unit of time

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi Taras

Thank you for the suggestion.
We already have a feature request to make time unit presented in UI configurable, and I've added a link to your posting to its detail.

Alternatively to an ability to switch the time unit, we can offer to show time as seconds with 3 digits after the dot, e.g. 12.345 sec and 0.015 sec instead of 12,345 ms and 15 ms

Best regards,
Anton
plethora

Post by plethora »

Hi Anton,
Thanks. In this case I'm profiling (as you might guess) code interacting with the database.
If I understand correctly, you're suggesting to always use three digits after the comma, no matter what time unit is used? If I understood correctly, I think that's OK.
The main thing for me is seeing "how much is this number in minutes?". Calculating from millis is easy, but it would be even better if I don't have to - when the whole profiled operation is taking multiple hours for example (ouch!).
Kind regards,
Taras
sethkqzv

Post by sethkqzv »

Yeah I can imagine how hours worth of milliseconds can be tedious to read through after the data has been collected. This is a good idea for a feature, I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point.