YourKit doesn't start on OSX anymore

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
mlippert

YourKit doesn't start on OSX anymore

Post by mlippert »

Hey!

I am not able to start the YourKit app on mx OSX system anymore. The YourKit icon appears in the dock, but keeps bumping around without the app coming up.
I was able to startup he 2013_build_13068 version. but I am not able to use version 2013_build_13076 or newer (the latest EAP 2014 versions) anymore.

There doesn't seem to be a log file generated. I can start the app my starting the "JavaApplicationStub" executable from the command line. In that case it picks a relatvely old 1.6.0 jdk that I have installed to run YourKit. I also have Java7 and Java8 JDKs installed on my machine and I guess this problem is related to selecting the right JDK. Any idea how to get this up and running again?

Thanks a lot for your help!
-Martin
Anton Katilin

Re: YourKit doesn't start on OSX anymore

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hello Martin

Sorry for inconvenience.

Indeed, the currently available bundle requires Java 6 to run the profiler UI itself. Of course, profiling of Java 7 and Java 8 applications is fully supported.

We made the bundle with included JRE 7 temporary unavailable due to issues with unsigned applications on newest OS X. We're currently working on obtaining a code signing certificate to address them. As soon as we get it we'll make the bundle not requiring Java 6 available again. Unfortunately, we have to pass some bureaucratic procedures at Apple as they accept only certificates issued by Apple. We don't know how much time it will take.

Meanwhile, you can use your workaround or launch bin/yjp.sh with desired Java version.

Best regards,
Anton
mlippert

Post by mlippert »

Hey Anton,

thanks for your reply and the insights. Since I have a JDK6 installed on my OSX machine, I wonder if there is a way to make the YourKit app launch with that JDK as expected (instead of using my workaround). Do you know whether this is possible somehow?

Thanks for your help!
-Martin
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi Martin
I wonder if there is a way to make the YourKit app launch with that JDK as expected
Actually, this is what it is expected to do: you unpack the app, click its icon - and starts. For some reason, it doesn't work on your particular system. We don't know why this happens, and we cannot reproduce the problem locally - it starts with Java 6 just fine.

Maybe the problem is with how/in which sequence Java versions were installed. Anyway, instead of investigating why it doesn't work with Java 6 sometime (we don't think this problem is common), we'll better spend our efforts to make it run with Java 7 and newer instead. Good news is that we seem close to finally get the code signing stuff from Apple, so I hope we'll be able to prepare appropriate bundle within a week or two.

Best regards,
Anton
mlippert

Post by mlippert »

Ok, sounds reasonable to me. Are you going to provide those bundles for the latest release as well as the EAP versions?

Thanks a lot for your help!
-Martin
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Yes, we'll make them for versions 2013 and 2014 EAP.