compatibility

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
bconfigure

compatibility

Post by bconfigure »

I am running Java Profiler 12.0.6. There is a 2013 build 13072 available. Is this compatible with the previous ypagent.dll? In other words, if I already have the agent running on an application somewhere, will this 2013 build 13072 be able to connect without deploying a new agent dll?

I noticed that the 2014 Early Access version is NOT compatible with my 12.0.6 version of ypagent.dll. Can I run both an older version of Yourkit side by side with the Early Access version?

Thanks!!
Anton Katilin

Re: compatibility

Post by Anton Katilin »

Agent and UI versions should match. You can't control profiled application running with agent from version A with profiler UI from version B.

However, you can have several versions installed in parallel, and multiple profiled applications running on the same machine with different profiler agent versions. But, as stated above, each of them needs the same version's UI to control its profiling.
Anton Katilin

Re: compatibility

Post by Anton Katilin »

About snapshot compatibility:

Profiler UI can open snapshots captured with older versions; the compatibility usually includes at least 2-3 versions back in history.

In opposite, older profiler UI never opens snapshots from newer versions.