Compare order

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
haridsv

Compare order

Post by haridsv »

When doing CPU comparison, is there a hidden way to specify which is the baseline? Currently, it is dumbed down to assume that the older snapshot is the baseline, and I see no option to change it. I first encountered this limitation a few years back and it is mind boggling to see that it still exists in the recent 12.0.5 version. At some point, I remember trying to `touch` the timestamp of the files, but YourKit didn't get fooled into which is newer, so it probably determines the timestamp from the contents. It is just plain wrong to assume that a newer snapshot is always representing a newer change, since I often end up profiling them in the other order.

BTW, is there a plan to add more comparison views, such as the "Object Allocation Recording" ? Again, I have been looking for this for several years, and it seems like there have only been "under the hood" changes and bug fixes for quite some time now, and no major UI overhaul. Is there a feature roadmap?
Anton Katilin

Re: Compare order

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi haridsv

Currently there is no way to swap snapshots in the comparison.
The snapshot timestamps are stored inside the snapshot files, so touching the file dates has no effect.

Will it be OK for you if the profiler asks which snapshot to be the baseline on invocation of the comparison action (offering the current order by default)?
BTW, is there a plan to add more comparison views, such as the "Object Allocation Recording"
I'll add a feature request.
it seems like there have only been "under the hood" changes and bug fixes for quite some time now, and no major UI overhaul.
I can't agree. There are many new features being added in each new version, as well as old ones are being improved. You can find the list of changes between versions here:
http://www.yourkit.com/changes/index.jsp

The newest EAP changes are here:
http://www.yourkit.com/eap
Is there a feature roadmap?
It's not publicly available. You're welcome to suggest features. If we find them valuable, we'll add them as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Anton
haridsv

Post by haridsv »

Anton Katilin wrote: Will it be OK for you if the profiler asks which snapshot to be the baseline on invocation of the comparison action (offering the current order by default)?
Yes, that would be OK, I just need some way to change the baseline.

Thanks for the feature request and the link to the changes, I will check it out.
MrSwadge

Post by MrSwadge »

haridsv wrote:I just need some way to change the baseline.
I'd also like this feature.
MrSwadge

Post by MrSwadge »

I tried editing the snapshot, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Presumably I'm looking at the wrong value (near the top of the file).

Code: Select all

creation_time_ms 1518750001731
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Sorry, snapshots cannot be "edited" this way since snapshot format is binary and complex. You cannot simply change portions looking like strings and expect that the snapshot remains valid and/or the intended alteration has applied.
MrSwadge

Post by MrSwadge »

I figured it would be risky, but I took a backup. :)

I know it's a difficult question, but any idea when we might expect to be able to switch baseline in compare? It's been on the feature request list for some time now.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hello MrSwadge,

To clarify: is it that the feature you want will make the "Compare snapshot" action allow to swap the old and the new snapshots?

Best regards,
Anton