4.0 to 5.1 profiler compatibility

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
attila

4.0 to 5.1 profiler compatibility

Post by attila »

Hi, we're a licensed user of 4.0 and have found ourselves in the following situation:

- I don't have the 4.0 profiler downloaded anymore on my machine (switched machines and platforms as well, went from Windows to Mac). I do have 5.1 downloaded and installed, works nicely with my 4.0 license. So far so good.

- We have several deployed Linux production systems where we have profiler agents 4.0.14, 4.5EAP638 and 4.5EAP648. At the moment we can not upgrade our deployed software, however it uses the profiler API and the profiler API changed incompatibly since 4.0/4.5 so that would cause some LinkageError if we tried to replace the 4.5 yjp-controller-api-redist.jar with the 5.1 one.

Will I be able to open snapshots taken with 4.5EAP648 in the 5.1 profiler front end? Actually, since I'd like to use the most bugfree version possible, can I somewhere obtain the *most* recent yjp-controller-api-redist.jar and its corresponding libyjpagent.so that are:

a) compatible with 4.5 profiler API, and
b) produce a memory snapshot that can be digested by 5.1 front end.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

- I don't have the 4.0 profiler downloaded anymore on my machine (switched machines and platforms as well, went from

Windows to Mac). I do have 5.1 downloaded and installed, works nicely with my 4.0 license. So far so good.
Should you for some reason need 4.0, you can download it at

http://www.yourkit.com/download/yjp-4.0.14.exe
http://www.yourkit.com/download/yjp-4.0.14.zip
http://www.yourkit.com/download/yjp-4.0.14-mac.zip
- We have several deployed Linux production systems where we have profiler agents 4.0.14, 4.5EAP638 and 4.5EAP648. At

the moment we can not upgrade our deployed software, however it uses the profiler API and the profiler API changed

incompatibly since 4.0/4.5 so that would cause some LinkageError if we tried to replace the 4.5

yjp-controller-api-redist.jar with the 5.1 one.
Yes, there were changes, and if you use API, please make sure the agent and the yjp-controller-api-redist.jar are from the same version.

Will I be able to open snapshots taken with 4.5EAP648 in the 5.1 profiler front end?

Actually, since I'd like to use the most bugfree version possible, can I somewhere obtain the *most* recent

yjp-controller-api-redist.jar and its corresponding libyjpagent.so that are:

a) compatible with 4.5 profiler API, and
b) produce a memory snapshot that can be digested by 5.1 front end.
To get most bugfree version possible, you should upgrade to 5.1 agent.

If you are forced to use the agent from older version, you should
use yjp-controller-api-redist.jar from the same version. Using of newer yjp-controller-api-redist.jar itself doesn't make

any improvements, because the logic (and stability and bug fixes) are the agent code instead.

Snapshots captured with 4.x agents are openable with 5.1 client.

But I wouldn't recommend to continue using EAP builds when official release is out, especially since you need the most bug free and stable version available.
attila

Post by attila »

But I wouldn't recommend to continue using EAP builds when official release is out, especially since you need the most bug free and stable version available.
That's right - this was my main question: which is the latest profiler agent that still exposes the "old" 4.5 profiler API and where can I download it?
[/quote]
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Actually, agent and redist jar are designed to be used in pair. So if you have agent from version A, you should take redist jar from the same version A (even from the same build).

You shouldn't mix them.

So, if some portions of your software use the API and cannot be recompiled with a newer redist jar, you have to stick with profiler agent from the same version as the redist jar used to compile your code.
plethora

Post by plethora »

Anton, are 5.0.x build still available by any chance?