memory snapshot for 800mb heap saves as invalid 2gb file

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
lneu

memory snapshot for 800mb heap saves as invalid 2gb file

Post by lneu »

When I try to take a memory snapshot on a 1.4.2 JVM running on solaris with approximately 800mb in-use memory (1.5gb max heap size), YourKit generated an approximately 2gb file that reports "... is not a valid snapshot file" when I try to load it.

I have managed to load a snapshot if I take it when the heap is only at ~600Mb (the snapshot is ~1.4gb in size at this point in time).

Are there any tricks to taking a snapshot of a larger heap with a 32-bit jvm?

Moving to the 1.5jvm is not an option at this point in time.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

What profiler version (build number) did you use?

Does the profiled application continue to work after the snapshot capturing, or it crashes? If it crashes, could you please post here the crash log.

What is the Java version (java -version)?
lneu

Post by lneu »

Profiler version: 5.0.9 build 692
Java version: 1.4.2_06-b03

Yes, in this case the profiled application continued to work after the snapshot.

On a related topic, what is the largest (filled) heap size I _should_ be able to take a snapshot of (and load) (on Solaris, 32-bit jre)? I have done 600mb successfully, failed at 800 (as per this thread) - how far should I be able to go?

Thanks.
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

Couldn't you please try EAP version http://www.yourkit.com/eap/download.jsp. If the problem persists please upload ZIPPed snapshot file to our FTP server. Here is a connection parameters:

ftp://194.24.241.196
user: ftp
empty password

This file will help a lot to find a problem.

Regards,
Vladimir