Fully featured low overhead profiler for Java EE and Java SE platforms.
Easy to use performance and memory .NET profiler for Windows and Linux.
Performance monitoring and profiling of Jenkins, Bamboo, TeamCity, Gradle, Maven, Ant and JUnit.

CPU profiling not capturing any calls to our code

Moderators: Vladimir Kondratyev, Anton Katilin

CPU profiling not capturing any calls to our code

Postby tom-terratrue » Thu May 06, 2021 7:54 pm

I am locally running a Java 8 Google App Engine project that uses Maven 3.6.3 to run. I am using IntelliJ Community v2021.1.1 integration to startup my service using a maven command, and I start it up with the latest YourKit Java Profiler v2021.3 with either CPU Sampling or CPU Tracing. I am able to see in my logs that the profiler is connected. However, when I make API calls to my service, the YourKit UI shows only calls to some internal looking classes, and nothing at all related to my classes and no SQL calls. I have a jmeter script running which makes a bunch of calls to the API and I can see that my calls are all being made successfully.

Last year I used an older version of YourKit (v2019.8) using the same method, and I was able to see all the detailed information for calls to our code and all the various SQL calls being made.

I looked through some release notes, but saw nothing that would explain this situation. Am I missing some new setting that without turning on or off makes the tool kinda useless for CPU profiling?

Thanks,
Tom Harris
tom-terratrue

Re: CPU profiling not capturing any calls to our code

Postby tom-terratrue » Thu May 06, 2021 9:43 pm

See screencap of call tree during latest try.

https://imgur.com/a/A22kigs

Thanks,
Tom Harris
tom-terratrue

Re: CPU profiling not capturing any calls to our code

Postby tom-terratrue » Fri May 07, 2021 12:54 am

Ok, never mind - It was clearly profiling the maven runner VM - I have the profiler working in sampler mode by connecting to running the instance.

Thanks,
Tom Harris
tom-terratrue

Return to Java Profiler