CPU profiling not capturing any calls to our code

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
tom-terratrue

CPU profiling not capturing any calls to our code

Post by tom-terratrue »

I am locally running a Java 8 Google App Engine project that uses Maven 3.6.3 to run. I am using IntelliJ Community v2021.1.1 integration to startup my service using a maven command, and I start it up with the latest YourKit Java Profiler v2021.3 with either CPU Sampling or CPU Tracing. I am able to see in my logs that the profiler is connected. However, when I make API calls to my service, the YourKit UI shows only calls to some internal looking classes, and nothing at all related to my classes and no SQL calls. I have a jmeter script running which makes a bunch of calls to the API and I can see that my calls are all being made successfully.

Last year I used an older version of YourKit (v2019.8) using the same method, and I was able to see all the detailed information for calls to our code and all the various SQL calls being made.

I looked through some release notes, but saw nothing that would explain this situation. Am I missing some new setting that without turning on or off makes the tool kinda useless for CPU profiling?

Thanks,
Tom Harris
tom-terratrue

Re: CPU profiling not capturing any calls to our code

Post by tom-terratrue »

See screencap of call tree during latest try.

https://imgur.com/a/A22kigs

Thanks,
Tom Harris
tom-terratrue

Re: CPU profiling not capturing any calls to our code

Post by tom-terratrue »

Ok, never mind - It was clearly profiling the maven runner VM - I have the profiler working in sampler mode by connecting to running the instance.

Thanks,
Tom Harris