Multiple versions installed, how are licenses managed?

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
gomesrodrigo

Multiple versions installed, how are licenses managed?

Post by gomesrodrigo »

Hello,

I am currently running a 3-years old version of YourKit Profiler, my license is past the support period so it is valid for this version but will not allow upgrades.

Now I would like to evaluate the latest EAP version, and installed it in a separate folder. But it seems that they share the same license, when opening the new version it says

Your license does not allow free upgrades ... you can also enter another license key

I could enter an evaluation key for the new version while I try it, but my concern is: will it override the older license, as they seem to be using shared license? If I start the evaluation and then decide to stick with the older version for some more time is there risk that it loses its key?
Anton Katilin

Re: Multiple versions installed, how are licenses managed?

Post by Anton Katilin »

You cannot use the new version with your old key for any purpose including evaluation.

To evaluate it, get the evaluation license from within the profiler.

Your old key should not be overwritten because the evaluation key is stored separately. The permanent key is stored in the file <user home>/.yjp/am.txt which you can backup to be absolutely sure.
gomesrodrigo

Re: Multiple versions installed, how are licenses managed?

Post by gomesrodrigo »

Thanks!
After activating a new evaluation key it gets stored in a separate file am-eval-yjp_2021_3.txt so everything is good with my older version and its permanent license.