IntelliJ Toolbar button missing

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
dmoshal

IntelliJ Toolbar button missing

Post by dmoshal »

Yourkit version: 2019.8-b110
IntelliJ: 2019.2.2

Installed Youkit from the UI.
confirmed that the jar file is in the correct location.
but no Yourkit button on toolbar.
Anton Katilin

Re: IntelliJ Toolbar button missing

Post by Anton Katilin »

Is "Profile" action missing in the toolbar only or also in the menus near "Run" and "Debug"?

After you installed the plugin and restarted IDEA, has the file ~/.yjp/log/ide-plugin.log been created?

Please ensure that both the profiler UI from which you install the plugin and IDEA run under the same regular user (i.e. not under su) and thus share the home folder.
dmoshal

Post by dmoshal »

Is "Profile" action missing in the toolbar only or also in the menus near "Run" and "Debug"?
- Profile button was not missing
After you installed the plugin and restarted IDEA, has the file ~/.yjp/log/ide-plugin.log been created?
- yes
Please ensure that both the profiler UI from which you install the plugin and IDEA run under the same regular user (i.e. not under su) and thus share the home folder.
- yes

NOTE: I solved the problem, but I think there are two bugs with your integration algorithm.

a) Plugin location

Your integration wizard puts the plugin in: ~/.IntelliJIdea2019.2

But I'm using Jetbrains Toolbox to manage different versions, and it has a separate directory: ~/.local/share/JetBrains/Toolbox/apps/IDEA-U/ch-0/

When I selected that directory, then the button appeared in the toolbar.

So, it seems that your integration wizard is not aware of Jetbrains Toolbox.

b) If Yourkit directory moved after initial launch, then the integration wizard still points to the initial directory.

I moved Yourkit out of my downloads directory and re-integrated the plugin wizard, but at run time the plugin complained that it could not find the yourkit directory in the downloads folder.

Even after removing Yourkit, and the plugins, in both IDE locations, and also, the .ypj folder, and then re-installing yourkit and re-integrating the plugin, it still pointed to the the original location in the downloads folder!

There doesn't appear to be a way to tell IntelliJ where the yourkit directory is.
It seems that once once yourkit ui is run, then that original location is immutable as far as the plugin is concerned?
dmoshal

Post by dmoshal »

Issue (b) above was user error on my side.
So only issue I know about is that I had to manually integrate with the Jetbrains toolbox plugin directory.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

We confirm the integration wizard does not support JetBrains Toolbox directories. We'll work on this.
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Could you please try the proposed fix:
1. Download this yourkit.jar
https://www.yourkit.com/download/tmp/20 ... ourkit.jar
2. Write it over <YJP 2019.8 build 110 installation directory>\lib\yourkit.jar
3. Start the profiler UI
4. Run IDE integration wizard.

On completion, the wizard should show the list of target plugins directories to which the plugin has been installed. Do you see the appropriate Toolbox directories among them?

Does this fix the problem?
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

We've just released v2019.8 build #115. It fixes the Toolbox problem.