Fully featured low overhead profiler for Java EE and Java SE platforms.
Performance monitoring and profiling of Jenkins, TeamCity, Gradle, Maven, Ant, JUnit and TestNG.
Easy to use performance and memory profiler for .NET framework.

Command line tool usecases need some explanation

Moderators: Vladimir Kondratyev, Anton Katilin

Command line tool usecases need some explanation

Postby vitvlkv » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:52 am

Hi!
I'm trying to figure out how to use your command line tool yjp-controller-api-redist.jar
I'm interested in "... the command line tool may be useful in remote profiling when you only have console access to the remote machine and no UI is available." this cases.

This page https://www.yourkit.com/docs/java/help/ ... e_tool.jsp unfortunately has very little info about each available command that the tool supports.

What is the purpose of `start-cpu-tracing` command? I tried it this way:
> java -jar yjp-controller-api-redist.jar localhost 5005 start-cpu-tracing
CPU tracing started
... wait some time...
> java -jar yjp-controller-api-redist.jar localhost 5005 stop-cpu-profiling
CPU profiling stopped

Fine! Where are the results? I expected to find some file in ~/Snapshots, but there is no. Could you explain, what this command - `start-cpu-tracing` - could be useful for?

Thank you!
vitvlkv

Re: Command line tool usecases need some explanation

Postby Anton Katilin » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:11 am

Hi,

Starting or stopping profiling does not automatically capture snapshots. Instead, snapshots should be captured explicitly. Please see the commands with "capture" in their name.

In your case, please issue the "capture-performance-snapshot" command right after you stopped CPU profiling.

Best regards,
Anton
Anton Katilin

Re: Command line tool usecases need some explanation

Postby abhinavsingh » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:39 am

Thank you Anton for your precious answer.
abhinavsingh

Return to Java Profiler