Fully featured low overhead profiler for Java EE and Java SE platforms.
Performance monitoring and profiling of Jenkins, TeamCity, Gradle, Maven, Ant, JUnit and TestNG.
Easy to use performance and memory profiler for .NET framework.

export all String objects?

Moderators: Vladimir Kondratyev, Anton Katilin

export all String objects?

Postby JimF » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:58 pm

Hi,
I have a heap dump with 300K instances of String objects. I'd like to use filter-on-string to see how many occurrences and total size, but UI seems to not show that information. Instead UI shows a short truncated list of search hits. I thought maybe I could export the non-truncated filtered Strings to a text file, but I don't see a way to do that.

Another solution might be to export the entire un-filtered content of all 300K strings to a text file, then use grep, etc. to filter. But I can't figure out how to export the entire set of String objects.

thanks, Jim
JimF

Re: export all String objects?

Postby Anton Katilin » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:54 am

Hello Jim

Please use the offline export feature:

java -Dexport.strings -Dexport.txt -jar <profile directory>/lib/yourkit.jar -export <memory snapshot file> <output directory>

Best regards,
Anton
Anton Katilin

Postby JimF » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:39 pm

Thank you, using command line export helped me a lot.

Also it possible for me to change some setting so UI can show more occurrences when viewing a particular class name in Object Explorer? It seems to limit to showing only a few hundred objects.
JimF

Postby Anton Katilin » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:23 am

Please add -Dyk.max.objects.to.show=N to <user home>/.yjp/ui.ini
The default N is 500.
Anton Katilin

Return to Java Profiler