tracking multiple contention points

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
rlarrabee

tracking multiple contention points

Post by rlarrabee »

Hi,

I've been a YourKit user in the past and I'm currently with a new company that does not own the product. It the product can help us resolve our current issue I feel assured we would make a purchase. My question is the following:

We have a Java call path that has multiple contentions points (multiple synchronized methods) and our currently solution only show the top contention point and the associated time. Can your product see all the contention points in a Java call path and attribute the blocking time to each of the encountered blocking points?

Thanks,

Rich
Anton Katilin

Re: tracking multiple contention points

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hello Rich

Do you mean Monitor profiling?
https://www.yourkit.com/docs/java/help/ ... filing.jsp

Monitor profiling shows points of contention, but it's not possible to automatically find any relation between different contention points without knowing the profiled application's semantics.

If you mean anything else, could you please explain in more detail.

Best regards,
Anton
rlarrabee

Post by rlarrabee »

Hi Anton,

Below is our basic scenario. Where we get a connection to a pool of objects and then add an object to the pool. In this scenario (one thread) will the tool show the contention (or monitor profile information) time for each of these synchronization points?

public final Object getConnection(.........
Pool apool = null;
synchronized (apool = getPool())

protected final synchronized Pool getPool()
return this.pool

public synchronized void add(T object)
Anton Katilin

Post by Anton Katilin »

Yes, monitor profiling should show you all monitor contention points in your code.