Yourkit unable to capture Memory snaphot

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
oswcab

Yourkit unable to capture Memory snaphot

Post by oswcab »

Hi,
I'm using YourKit 2016.02-b46 to try to understand a humongous allocation problem with our application.
I've configured the application to run the agent and YourKit is able to locally connect to the application. I can do most of the operations without a problem but when I try to get the details about the memory by capturing the memory snapshot, YourKit disconnects from the application and shows error message:
"There's no application running at localhost with profiler agent configured to listen on port 10001 or profiler agent is incompatible with current version of profiler"
As said, initially the profiler connects OK to the application and only shows this error message when trying to capture the memory snapshot.
The application has 128GB heap so that may be the reason? Should I allocate Yourkit more memory before starting it up?
oswcab

Re: Yourkit unable to capture Memory snaphot

Post by oswcab »

In fact, that was the problem, lack of memory. The error message should be more specific to be helpful.
Anton Katilin

Re: Yourkit unable to capture Memory snaphot

Post by Anton Katilin »

Hi,

Please note that version 2016.02 is no longer supported. Please use the current release version 2017.02.

Nevertheless, this is likely a socket timeout issue in communication of the profiler UI and the profiler agent. The snapshot may take time to complete.

You may try to re-connect to the application after the snapshot has been captured in full.

It also makes sense to consider capturing HPROF snapshots for such huge heaps since they dump faster: https://www.yourkit.com/docs/java/help/ ... pshots.jsp

Best regards,
Anton