Profile launch failure from Idea for applets only

Questions about YourKit Java Profiler
willismorse

Profile launch failure from Idea for applets only

Post by willismorse »

On Windows, whenever I try to profile an applet from within Idea 5, I get this error:

YourKit Java Profiler 4.0.11 cannot start: unknown option 'profileruipath=" (followed by a large number)

I thought initially that this has something to do with the fact that I've installed YourKit somewhere other than the recommended location in Program Files. However, I can profile applications fine, and they seem to be launched with the same profileruipath value.

This happens in prerelease biulds 650 and 652. I swear this worked the last time I tried it, but that may have been with an earlier build.

Thanks,
Wilils Morse
ShiftClick
Vladimir Kondratyev

Post by Vladimir Kondratyev »

The problem is that by some reason IDEA uses profiler agent form 4.0.11 (not form 4.5-EAP). Do you have version 4.0.x installed?
Sascha Weinreuter

Post by Sascha Weinreuter »

I suspect this is because applet run-configurations don't have a working directory, thus they're using the current working directory of the IDEA instance, which is IDEA-HOME/bin. Since IDEA is shipped with YJP 4.0.x, the JVM that runs the applet picks up the DLL from this directory.

Sounds like the DLL should use a naming scheme that identifies the DLL's version to avoid problems with picking up wrong DLLs from incompatible versions.

Sascha
Sascha Weinreuter

Post by Sascha Weinreuter »

Oh, I forgot: You can safely remove/rename the DLL in the bin directory, unless of course you want to capture snapshots from IDEA itself to report performance or memory problems.